Friday, December 25, 2020

CHRISTMAS CODA 61

 


Aubrey and Aloysius from OUT OF THE BLUE






 England, December 24th, 1925



Twilight. Those soft, rosy minutes after sunset when shadows stretched and memory came creeping like a ghost.

For a few moments Aubrey gazed out the diamond-paned window, watching the sky darken, waiting for those first pinpricks of light in the fabric of night. The lilting voices of the carolers drifted into the crackling December air.

The holly and the ivy

When they are both full grown

Of all trees that are in the wood

The holly bears the crown…

Noddy. Pip. Tubby. Heath. Varlik. Gene. Orton. God. Orton. Friend and foe, he saw them all again in his mind’s eye.

Saw Cowboy. Cowboy. He smiled faintly. Such a long time ago. A lifetime ago. But in fact, it was only seven years since the war had ended.

The door below the window opened, casting a long yellow rectangle across the snowy ground. Waring appeared, inviting the carolers inside.

From his vantage point, Aubrey could see what he hadn’t noticed before: the bony thinness of the shoulders beneath the butler’s black coat, the pink shine of his balding back of head. Waring was an old man now.

Well, they were none of them getting any younger.

Years go falling in the fading light. Gene had written that. Funny to still remember.  


The study door opened behind him. Aubrey turned as Archie poked his head around the edge of the door. Lying on the rug before the cavern-sized fireplace, Digs raised his knobby little head and began to pant in welcome.

“Uncle Aubrey?”

Aubrey smiled. “Finished?”

Archie nodded. He was the spitting image of Aubrey at the same age—tousled pale hair, solemn gray eyes, spindly limbs.

Aubrey held out his hand. “Let’s have it then.”

Archie pushed the door wide and crossed the shining floor to hand over the missive he had been laboring on for over an hour.

Archibald Reginald William Bryant, Earl Denford, was seven now. His father, Aubrey’s eldest brother Archie, had died in 1918 while in Spain on a “diplomatic mission,” i.e., spying, and his mother, Lady Pamela, had fallen victim to the Spanish flu not many months later. The old Earl, Aubrey’s father, had been carried off in the same wave.

Aubrey was beyond fond of his nephew, but guardian and trustee would not have been the future he chose for himself. However, with the old earl’s passing, his wings had effectively been clipped. If there was one lesson he had learned during the war, it was that life had a way of getting in the way of one’s plans.

Gravely, he read over the laboriously written letter to Father Christmas, mouth twitching a little at the ink stains and occasionally reversed letter.  Archie watched him with a hopeful intentness reminiscent of Digsby waiting for his walk.

“An aeroplane,” Aubrey murmured.

Archie’s eyes brightened, he opened his mouth, but was interrupted by the uncharacteristically sharp tones of his governess.  

“Master Archibald! Qu'est-ce que c'est?”

Both Aubrey and Archie jumped guiltily.

Mademoiselle Ghislaine Berger was Archie’s governess. She was young and very pretty and took her responsibilities very seriously.

Mortified that the prisoner had escaped, she began to apologize profusely for the interruption, but Aubrey cut her off with a smile.

“The boy’s alright,” he said easily. “I must approve the letter after all.”

Mademoiselle bit her lip, looking a little uncertain.

Aubrey winked at Archie who gazed up at him with worshipful eyes. “Looks good to me, old son. Go on. Chuck it in.”

Archie tossed the letter into the crackling fireplace. The three of them—four counting Digs—watched in silence as it shriveled into black crinkles. Archie’s wishes drifting up with the red embers into the night sky.

Then Mademoiselle snapped back to herself, apologizing again to Aubrey before shoeing her charge off to bed.

Not all wishes could come true, sadly.

 

 

Some time later, Waring appeared to inquire if Mr. Bryant required anything else that evening and to announce the arrival of Mr. Cooper.

Waring was used to the estate manager’s unceremonious comings and goings, but he still disapproved of the American’s lack of…well, being English.  

“Thank you, Waring. That’ll be all,” Aubrey said. “You can show Mr. Cooper in.”


Waring nodded glumly, withdrew, and Aubrey went to the black and gold chinoiserie liquor cabinet and poured two brandies.

A moment or two later Mr. Cooper arrived, Tall, broad-shouldered, with just as a hint of a limp as he went to join Aubrey. Mr. Cooper’s eyes were as bright as Texas blue bonnets, his smile as warm as the western sun.  

They kissed once, twice, lingeringly. Aubrey handed Mr. Cooper his brandy and they chinked glasses, the crystal chiming in the cozy room.

“How was the kiddie party?” Cowboy asked.

Bat groaned. Loudly.

Cowboy chuckled and kissed him again.

 

 

It was not easy for them, but it was a hell of a lot easier than it had been during the two long years when Bat had believed Cowboy was dead.

Originally they had flown together with the No. 44 Air Squadron stationed outside the village of Embry near Calais, but winter of ’17 Bat had been dragged back to St. Omer to serve as a flight instructor. This was after his brother Dorian had died in the North Sea, and Bat had always suspected his brother Archie of pulling strings in an effort to ensure at least one of them survived to carry on the old family name. Needless to say, Bat had kicked like hell to return to the front. To no avail.

In any case, that spring Cowboy had been transferred to Escadrille Américaine. In February ’18 he’d been transferred again into the United States Army Air Service.

They’d tried to keep in touch, of course, but it hadn’t been easy. A few months after Cowboy’s second transfer, Bat had learned he’d been shot down and taken prisoner.

Then came the worst news of all. Captain Aloysius Cooper had been killed while trying to make his escape from a German prison camp.

Not unexpected, of course. They had talked occasionally of the possibility that one or both of them might die. Probably would die, in Bat’s opinion. Cowboy had been more optimistic. Stubbornly, aggravatingly optimistic.

So that had been that.

The war ended—along with most of Bat’s world. But life went on. Had to go on for there was a squalling, shrieking, red-faced newborn Earl Denford to be preserved and raised and prepared for his eventual responsibilities. And eventually to be loved. Loved as if he was indeed Bat’s own son.

Then, unexpectedly, two years after the armistice had been signed, a wish was granted. A wish that was more like a miracle. Out of the blue, Mr. Aloysius Cooper applied for the position of estate manager to Denford Castle in Kent…

 

 

The clock on the mantel struck midnight, twelve slow, silvery chimes drifting across to the rumpled bed.

Cowboy turned his head on the pillow. He said lazily, “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas,” Bat murmured, relaxed and warm and contented within the circle of Cowboy’s arms.

“It’s snowing again.”

“Mm.”

Cowboy studied the ceiling. He asked, “What’ll you do about the aeroplane?”


Bat made a sound of amusement. “I’m not buying Archie a bloody plane.”

“Not this year,” agreed Cowboy. “We can’t afford it this year. Nor next.”

“Not ever.”

Cowboy’s smile was enigmatic. “You don’t fool me. You’d love to fly again.”

Bat snorted, but yes. He missed flying sometimes. Sometimes. He tilted his face up, studied Cowboy’s rugged profile.

“What’s up?”

“What’s that?” Cowboy asked.

“Something’s worrying you. I can tell.”

Cowboy grimaced. “I was going to wait till after Christmas to tell you. No point spoiling the day.”

Bat ignored the sinking feeling in his chest. “Tell me now.”

“I got a telegram from my sister. The old man’s not doing so well.”

Bat swallowed. Said, “You must go home then. You can’t wait. You’ve got to go right away.”

“Yes.” Cowboy’s eyes met his, piercingly blue even in the soft gloom. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

Bat nodded. Cowboy had been back to the States twice before. Each time was… wrenching. Each time Bat feared Cowboy would not return. Would be pressured by circumstance to stay as Bat had been pressured by circumstance to make the choices he had.

“I’ll be back before you know it.”

“Right.”

Three days from London to New York by steamship. And then how many days by train to Texas? Too many. Too long. That went without saying. It already felt like forever and Cowboy hadn’t moved an inch from his side.

“Look at me,” Cowboy commanded.

“I’m looking.”

“No. I mean, look at me.”

Bat gazed solemnly into Cowboy’s eyes.

Cowboy said, “England is my country now and you’re my home.”

Bat’s throat closed. He turned his face into Cowboy’s shoulder. Muttered, “Tall tales and Texans.”

“Have I ever lied to you?”

Bat raised his head, glared. “Yes. You have. As well you know.”

Cowboy laughed. “You still holding that little bitty white lie against me?”

“Little bloody bitty!”

Cowboy’s mouth captured his. When Bat could breathe again, Cowboy whispered. “I’m coming back. And that’s a promise.”

Bat managed a shaky laugh. Reminded himself that Cowboy always kept his promises and, sometimes, wishes did come true.

61 comments:

  1. Oh, my god!!!! The perfect gift for this Christmas. I dreamt up so many different stories for them, all taken place in the us. But this so much better, thank you and a peaceful holiday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God! THANK YOU! I've been waiting for this one for so long. THANK YOU, JOSH!

    Goge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. So good to see these two again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about them. Thanks It was great way to start the day

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see they both made it home! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the skin of their teeth. ;-) Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. I've been waiting for this coda for so long. I thought it might never come, for obvious reasons. Josh, it's delightful you've made the Happy Ever After realistic and remained true to the characters. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me SO happy! I'm not sure why, but it was very important to me that I know Bat and Cowboy had their HEA!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad I could deliver! :-D

      Delete
  7. That's more than wonderful! I love Out of the Blue! That story got me crying like a little girl almost all along... So it feels amazing to see them as happy as can be at those times and far away from war. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very emotional story--as I discovered when I sat down to reread! No wonder I put it off forever. :-D

      Delete
  8. I have waited so long for this coda. I thought it might never be written, for obvious reasons. Josh, I'm so pleased you were able to write a realistic HEE, whilst staying true to the characters. Merry Christmas. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure how you do it, Josh, with such few words, but you brought me to tears. How painfully beautiful, this little coda. Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect, Josh! I literally just finished a reread of this story about a week ago with a friend. He asked if there was a coda. I said, No, and I wasn't sure there ever would be. What a lovely gift to us all. Thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Josh, for this lovely coda!:)
    I always wondered how the story went on with them.
    And thank you for doing the advent calendar again this year, it is always a pleasure and brightens things up. <3
    I wish you a Merry Christmas, and much success, health& happiness for the new year.
    Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Leslie! I had such wonderful help this year. It made it extra special.

      Delete
  13. I've spent time wondering about these two. I thought they'd find a way to their HEA. Thank you for the confirmation

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't even. Thank you so, so much for Bat and Cowboy. They immediately became one of my favorite couples and now I can rest easy knowing they're happy together! Merry Christmas to us! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect!
    Bat, duty bound, and Cowboy, brash American circling & buffering as he can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Exactly. Still finding their little space of comfort within the storm.

      Delete
  16. Ahhhhhh, I love this!!! Out of the Blue is one of my favorites! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh, so beautiful and unexpected! Out of the blue is my very favorite of your novellas (though the uncertainty of the way it ended did sorta kill me:)), so what a very wonderful gift to read this! I absolutely loved it! ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I was FINALLY able to deliver this one. It did take a while to figure out their happy ending.

      Delete
  18. I see that their story had a huge impact on so many of us!Josh's coda couldn't be more perfect, while keeping realistically true to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't looked at the story until I sat down to write the coda and holy moly that is one wrenchingly emotional novella. No wonder I kept putting this off. :-D

      Delete
  19. I was so excited I posted this on the wrong post ......... that why you don’t post after midnight.

    Merry Christmas, Deb Rabottino
    Again
    PM
    I just stopped by your block to check on in ........ and Damn, there it is !!!!!!!! Out of the Blue coda...... I can’t read it yet, because then it will be over........ I’m going back now to read it ....... thank you before I even read it .....

    What a precious Christmas gift!

    Merry Christmas , I hope you had something special happen for you as this happened for me!

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my....again .... Bat
    , just as calm as when he was with his pilots “ Aubrey winked at Archie who gazed up at him with worshipful eyes. “Looks good to me, old son. Go on. Chuck it in.” ...old son, so reminiscent of “old chap” 😁

    Cowboy said, “England is my country now and you’re my home.” 😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little older, a little wiser, but still Bat. And still Cowboy. ;-)

      Delete
  21. .... alright, I’m gonna keep posted all day about this one..... heaven help us!

    I’m withBinkabunny, I can’t even stop smiling, staying true to the time and with a perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, given HOW MUCH RESEARCH WENT INTO THIS TINY LITTLE CODA I'm actually grateful it was so well-received. More work went into this one than all the others put together. :-D

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Yes!!!!
      And the nod to Gene: “Years go falling in the fading light. Gene had written that. Funny to still remember.”

      Delete
    2. I looked it up and French bulldogs live 10-14 years, so it's perfectly reasonable that Digs would have made it through the war too! :-)

      Delete
  23. What a magnificent and perfect surprise! There's something about this story at the end of this particular year that is so fitting and moving. Thank you, Josh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was part of what went into the decision to tackle it. This year. God.

      Delete
  24. One of our mystery couples who we left at such a dangerous time and place. So happy to find them home! Thank you for the cheerful advent calendar for 2020, everyone who contributed. Every drop of good cheer and amazing creative input was much needed. Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I too am so grateful for everyone who took part in this year's calendar. <3

      Delete
  25. I'm late to read this but it was so nice to see them have a life together :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. OUT OF THE BLUE was my introduction to you. I still love the heft of the book WHAT'S LEFT OF KISSES? in my hands. I'm sitting here winding down from welcoming the New Year in solitude and crossing my fingers for 2021. Came across your email wishing us HNY and stumbled into this coda! A "come to Jesus" moment, Josh Lanyon style! Bat and Cowboy alive and well. Suddenly I feel hope for 2021. Thank you for this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just started catching up all these amazing posts counting down to Christmas and this one was indeed a pleasant surprise 'out of the blue'! I have given up ever reading a coda on them. Thank you, Josh and all other contributors who made these wonderful posts to end a disastrous year with a hopeful note. A belated merry Christmas and happy new year to you all.

    Savanna

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Josh!

    First off, I'm so happy that you wrote a coda for these two!

    I'm really new to your works (I recently started reading your love stories after discovering your awesome writing book. It's been such a big help for me. I'm only a humble fanfiction writer (lol, yes I admitted to that outloud :D), but the advice and tips you shared in it were a huge boost for me, no matter. :) So, thank you for that.)

    Anyway, getting back on task: I just finished Bat and Cowboy's story in What's Left of Kisses? the other day. It was a lovely read, but I was sad that it ended as quick as it did. I was left wanting more and here it is! Thank you for the bonus chapter and thank you for sharing your writings and experiences with us.

    take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. thank you for that wonderful bittersweet story (even without the coda) but i did look for a coda and am glad that you gifted us one: some wishes come true ✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete