Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Advent Calendar Day 15

 


TEN DAYS TILL CHRISTMAS!!!! 

Today our dear Natasha Chesterbrook is back with another holiday coda. 

You may remember that last year one of our activities was for you all to write the beginnings of a coda with the hope that some of you might finish them up and even submit! Well, Natasha did that very thing. :-D 


I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.

Today's coda features Perry Foster and Nick Reno, and I know you're going to love it. 



Nick Reno loved Perry Foster with all his heart and soul. That being said, today he wanted to kill him.

After a long night of trailing a gang of smugglers through the back bays of Los Angeles Harbor, he was cold, tired and hungry. Having spent several early morning hours dealing with the police who eventually showed up when things really started to turn ugly, he’d returned home to find Perry fast asleep on their sofa in a cold apartment, the heat Nick had turned up the evening before now off.

A stranger sat slumped in a chair dressed up like Santa Claus and smelling like a distillery. At his feet a red sack spilled over containing, if Nick was not mistaken, the apparent rewards of a night spent burgling. What had Perry gotten himself into this time?

Tiny pinpoints of light twinkled across the floor where the small Christmas tree Perry had rescued from some cast off heap stood. Perry was good as rescuing things – rescuing people – and sometimes that scared him.

Nick knelt beside the sofa and, as gently as he could, touched Perry’s shoulder hoping not to startle him. His breathing was slow and steady as much a balm to Nick’s soul as any could be. Perry’s eyelids fluttered open with a start but immediately focused on Nick with adoration akin to worship. The weariness Nick wore from a long night eased at that look and he smiled knowing full well how sappy it must have sat on his face.

“Sweetheart, you okay?” Nick constantly surprised himself with that being his first priority in any situation.

“I’m fine. Just…” Perry trailed off as his eyes darted to Santa then quickly back to Nick. As for Nick, he waited knowing Perry needed to gather his wits enough to answer Nick’s questioning gaze. He could be patient for Perry. Actually, as he found out this last year, he could be anything for Perry.

“He’s still here.” The surprise in Perry’s voice didn’t go unnoticed but it was also the look of concern on his face that made Nick stand up.

An abrupt snore from the sleeping Santa broke the quiet causing them both to start and then stare at the stranger. He didn’t wake up or even move much beyond his face twitching a bit before settling back into the slackness of somnambulance.

“Let me go turn up the heat, get you another blanket and then you can tell me what happened.” 

When he returned, Perry was sitting up and more alert. Nick wrapped the blanket around his shoulders and rubbed his arms. “I’m okay, Nick. Really.” If there was a note of agitation in Perry’s voice, Nick chose to ignore it.

“Who’s Mr. Claus?”

Perry drew a breath. “I had just finished work on my latest piece and was cleaning my brushes when I heard the most beautiful voice singing Christmas carols. I looked out into the courtyard and there he was.” Perry nodded to the sleeping St. Nick. “It was magical.”

Nick frowned and waited but Perry seemed to have run out of story. 

“So you invited him in?”

“Well… he was in a pretty bad way.”

“And turned down the heat?”

“He was sweating, and I thought he’d be more comfortable.”

“And the stolen goods?”

“What?!” Perry started to rise but Nick held him down.

“Okay, I’m just guessing. It looks pretty suspicious.”

Perry frowned again, “I didn’t think…”

Nick heaved a sigh then snapped, “I guess you weren’t thinking by inviting a complete stranger into our home. He could have been anyone. He could have robbed us. He could have – could have – hurt you!”

Now Perry did jump up. “Look at him. Does he look like he’s in any condition to hurt me?”

“That’s not the point,” Nick replied tersely. He didn’t want to argue with Perry, but the weariness weighed on him tearing down his resolve. “I wasn’t here to...”

Perry looked away, eyes downcast. “Protect me? Because I’m weak? Please, don’t treat me like a child.”

“Then stop acting like one!” Nick instantly regretted the words but didn’t know how to pull them back. He didn’t know how to do a lot of things for Perry. Say the right things. Tell him how he felt.

***

Exhausted as he was Nick fell into a deep sleep from which he woke early not feeling in the least refreshed. Perry lay silent with his back to him under the layers of blanket Nick has piled on before passing out. Nick could tell he wasn’t asleep.

“I’m sorry.” At least Nick knew how to start even if he was lost as to how to proceed. But Perry didn’t give him time to lay out a course.

Turning over he snuggled into Nick and hugged him tight. “I’m sorry for scaring you. That’s it isn’t it?”

“Yeah.” Nick figured he’d just go where Perry led. Then decided he needed to steer some too even if it did make him uncomfortable.

“Sweetheart, I hate leaving you alone so much. I don’t think you’re weak. But when I’m not here to protect you I need to know you’ll protect yourself.”

Perry raised his head and gifted Nick with a sweet, soft kiss. “I love you too.”

One kiss became two, then three before they remembered their overnight guest and rose to see if they still owned any furniture.

The front room was empty of strangers with only the folded blanket lying on the sofa Nick remembered Perry draping over the faux Santa. Nick checked the front door which was still locked.



Perry looked at him with wide eyes, ‘Where do you think he went?”

“Up the chimney? Nearest bar?” Nick quipped.

Perry drew a hand through his blond locks, “Nick, I know what I did last night was careless and I’m sorry. But I can’t just turn my back on people. Life is a risk.” He looked at Nick with love in his eyes. “You took a risk on me. How can I not embrace that?”

Nick looked at this man – his man – across the room and recognized a strength he himself lacked and nodded. If Perry can be brave, so can he.

He moved over to Perry pulling him into a kiss then whispered, “Wanna go back to bed?”


From the courtyard, “The First Noel” rang out in a strong, melodious voice.

Perry was right. It was magical.

12 comments:

  1. Ahh, my second favorite couple. That was lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those two are just cute ... as is the story. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet little Christmas story. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Natasha! That was very sweet and heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the beginning from last year! I'm so glad you finished it, Natasha! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! I love them bunches. Thank you, Natasha for taking time to write and share that happy day brightener. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done Natasha! This is very sweet and cute and Holiday-ish. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, everyone! A great challenge every year and tremendous fun.

    Happy Holidays and may 2021 bring us all better days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another couple I love, that was a lovely story and for me perfectly captured Nick and Perry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. It so perfectly captures Perry's understanding of the spirit of Christmas. <3 Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete