Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Christmas Coda 58

 

Will and Taylor from the Dangerous Ground series

The faintest ghostly chime woke Will from his thoughts.

He murmured, “Warm enough?”

“Mmhm.”

They were spooned together in the cabin’s slightly lumpy bed, their sleeping bags zipped into one large comforter. Will was chafing Taylor’s feet between his own, and for once Taylor’s feet did feel warmish. Taylor, who was extremely ticklish, barely jumped as Will ran his toes down the sole of his foot.

The tiny silver angels on the candle chimes sitting on the nightstand, began to speed up, silhouettes glinting and flashing, as the heat from the candles rose. The chimes were their sole effort at holiday decor. Taylor had picked them up in a drug store on the long drive north.

“What do you think?” he’d asked Will.

“Easier to carry than a Christmas tree,” Will had responded. What he really thought was that it was amazing that after all this time, they could still surprise each other. That there were still things about Taylor he didn’t know, couldn’t predict. And only the rest of their lives to figure each other out.

The firelight from the fireplace across the room cast shadows across Taylor’s face. He was smiling faintly, his expression unusually peaceful.

“Glad we came?” Will asked, watching him.

Taylor’s mouth twitched, but clearly, he decided to throw Will a bone. He said kindly, “This wasn’t such a bad idea, Brandt.”

Will’s mouth curved in reply. His original idea had been to go camping, but he was enough of a realist to know December in the High Sierras was not going to be a hit with Taylor. So instead they had rented a lonely little cabin in a rundown mountain resort. They could fish for trout (Merry Fishmas!!) hike and explore all day—no need for masks, no need to socially distance from anything but the occasional deer—and in the evenings they got to enjoy hot showers, drinks before their own fireplace, and cuddling up in a reasonably comfortable bed.


They needed this break. Hell, after 2020, the entire world needed a break. On the bright side, business was booming. Nothing like a global pandemic to bring out the paranoia in, well, everyone. Unfortunately, a lot of the business revolved around cyber threats, their least favorite part of protection services, but they were meeting the challenge—remotely most of the time, but whatever worked.

So yeah, business was booming. And so far, their little team was still healthy and strong and thriving. Not that there hadn’t been moments. Euphonia had come down with the virus. Luckily, she’d only had a light case. As Taylor said, “Even plague germs are afraid of Nee.” Will had tested positive for the virus three fucking times—false positives each time, as it turned out—and Taylor had gotten into two punch ups in the last six months: one when some asshole had tried to jerk his mask off, the second when another asshole had tried to jerk Taylor’s client’s mask off. Will worried about that vulnerable right lung of Taylor’s—the one a bullet had punctured in what felt like a lifetime ago--not that he was dumb enough to say so. No way was Taylor going to sit on the sidelines and wait for the danger to pass.

So, see, Will was learning. Learning to keep his mouth shut, anyway.

Love in the Time of Corona.   

Anyway, as Christmas vacations went, Will figured this was one of their best. Nearly as nice as Hawaii because regardless of everything else going on in the world, between them there were no more doubts, no more confusion, no more fear.

Well, no more fear as far as their commitment to each other. It was the year of living dangerously, after all.  

Will whispered, “Happy?”

“You’d know if I wasn’t.” But then Taylor turned within Will’s arms, locking his hand in Will’s hair, kissing him quick and hard. “Very.”

Will smiled and kissed him back. For a few moments they simply gazed at each other, the firelight catching the glimmer of eyes and teeth.


“I didn’t think it would make such a difference,” Will admitted.

“What?”

“Being married. I didn’t think I could feel closer to you than I already did.”

“Commitment,” Taylor said. “That’s the difference.”

“But I was committed to you. I always felt committed to you.”

“I know. Same. But it does make a difference.”

Will nodded. It really did. A little oasis of security in an insecure world?

“Anyway,” Taylor said, “Happy Anniversary.”

Riley, curled in a tight ball in front of the fireplace, suddenly groaned loudly.

 Will laughed. “He thinks we’re about to get mushy.”

Taylor laughed too, whispered, “He’s right.”

The silver angels spun faster and faster in the flickering firelight.








(**Note: this coda was expanded from its original version BECAUSE I'M A GOOF)






 

 




38 comments:

  1. Love it. Love them. I hope, for Taylor’s sake, that next anniversary they can go someplace warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think he'll insist on that.

      Delete
    2. This was perfect. Nice catching up. You included Covid so seamlessly since it really is part of everyone life in one way or another.. is this series done? I'd like more of them being happy. I seem to need happy . There's always re-reads ❤

      Delete
  2. Oh be still my heart! This is the best Christmas present ever! I am finishing up listening to I buried a Witch, then I'm going to listen to Blind Side again. I think it's going to be a Christmas tradition. Thank you so much!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. I love it even more now. Love in the time of Corona. Of course will tested positive so many times. He's always been trouble. But I'll deny it if you tell him I said that.

      Delete
    2. I kept trying to get back to the coda in time to update, and then I woke up this morning and realized it had gone live. :-D I think that's classic Will to test positive over and over. :-D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, it's those quiet moments that mean the most.

      Delete
  4. Awww, I love this! Just perfect. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. For two "rough and tough" guys on the outside, Will and Taylor sure can be soft and sweet with each other. Thank you as always, Josh, for your brilliant writing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that juxtaposition. Of all my characters I think they most exemplify that dichotomy. <3

      Delete
  6. Made me misty eyed. How perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww... this kinda made me sob a little. I’m so happy they’re happy, but 2020, man...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect and precious - and did I say perfect? 😍🥰 I've always loved Will and Taylor's devotion to ea h other,even when that dastardly David Bradley tried to insinuate his big self into Will's life. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty much LITERALLY crazy for each other. :-D

      Delete
  9. Love in times of corona indeed. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. �� delightful - thank you, I love these guys. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Definitely they are in that top tier of my all time faves.

      Delete
  11. Ah, Will and Taylor! Thanks, you big goof!

    psst, hey Will, having been camping in December many times, let me rec one of my favorites: Big Sur. It's about a ten mile hike in, but then there are hot springs. And the daytime temps were high sixties. A bit nippy at night, though. You and Taylor should try it next year. Cuz, like I said: hot springs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "His original idea had been to go camping, but he was enough of a realist to know December in the High Sierras was not going to be a hit with Taylor." Just perfect. I would think Taylor has had more than enough of camping in the High Sierras. ;) Thank you for this and for setting it in our RL times. Sweet and hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute, very cute indeed! Missed them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I never expected to stumble upon a childhood staple of Christmas decoration in a Will-and-Taylor coda. :-D Is 'candle chimes' what they're called abroad? How very curious! In the best way. As it happens, mine are merrily turning and chiming just now (the angles wear dresses, though^^).

    Thank you so much for a lovly Christmas coda, Josh! I like checking in with the guys and like to know that they're well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up calling them "Swedish angels." :-D I don't know if that's right! figured Taylor probably wouldn't know them, and Will definitely wouldn't have heard of them before. :-D

      Delete
    2. I need to dig through some boxes and try to find mine. I may still have an old classic metal set. I also had one in wood. It's pretty and spins with the candle's heat, but no chimes. :(

      Delete
  15. Awwww, that was special. Happy to see Will and Tay survived 2020—and not just survived, but are happier than ever. Also, I love that ending. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A well deserved happy moment for them! I am listening to Clapton's Christmas Tears right now...great guitar of course, I sort of like it for contrast to the sweet story.

    ReplyDelete