Sunday, December 3, 2023

Advent Calendar Day 3

 One of my all-time favorite Christmas albums is Dean Martin's kooky, kitschy Winter Romance. It's not strictly a Christmas album. It's more of a winter-evening-with-cocktails album, which is probably why I love it. It's corny and retro, sure, but, like Dino, it's got something. I particularly like the title track, which is straight 1950s cinema-style romance. 

Grab a drink, sit back and smile nostalgically as you listen. 


And while you're in a nostalgic frame of mind, what do you think your favorite JL character's favorite holiday song is? There just might be a coda in there somewhere...




5 comments:

  1. Ha! This album popped up on my Sirius holiday station yesterday! I forget which song they played, but you can never go wrong with Dino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are the classics, but the best era for Christmas songs had to be the 50s. Right after two world wars, every lyric about love, peace and happiness took on new meaning. My pick, Adrien English, The Christmas Waltz by Peggy Lee….it has to be Peggy Lee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote is Jason West loving Wham's "Last Christmas". I think he loves the modern retro sensibility of loving Wham and underlying belief that he is probably going to have his heart broken by Sam one of these days makes him drawn to the lyrics more than he would like to admit

    My second vote is for both JX and Kit who have settled on Linda Ronstadt's Christmas Album as their joint favorite. Kit turns to jelly listening to Linda's perfect tone and classic sensibility and JX loves Linda's cross cultural choices. He once helped her in SF when he was a cop and stalker had broken into her house. Ever since then Linda was number one on JX's real good people list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep trying to think which character would have the deep dark secret guilty pleasure of Mariah Carey.....๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‡
    AND THEN HAS THE COURAGE TO ADMIT IT!
    Now I'm going to go back to listening to Dino...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I entered this message yesterday, but I’ll give it a go again. :) If two eventually show up, feel free to nix. I think the 1950s Christmas songs, coming right after two world wars, were the most heartfelt, connecting feelings of longing and joy, like no other era. Adrien English, The Christmas Waltz, Peggy Lee. Peggy Lee is a must.

    ReplyDelete