Monday, December 11, 2023

Advent Calendar Day 11

 


I'm so happy to have our witty and talented friend Haldis back in the Advent Calendar this year! 

Haldis wrote, "Your question about which Christmas songs for which character on yesterday's advent post got my little brain whirling away singing at me, and it wouldn't shut up..."

Guess what earworm of a song got her thinking? 😂

Enjoy this delicious little peek into the lives of Kit Holmes and his better half... 

All I Want for Christmas

I finished the final sentence of the latest chapter, saved the document, and sat back with satisfaction. It took some doing, but I finally figured out how to get poor Miss Butterwith and Mr. Pinkerton out of the corner I had backed them into.

            It felt good to be writing again. Well, mentally and emotionally anyway. Physically, not so much, as my back threatened to spasm. Maybe I could talk J.X. into giving me a message. Though truth be told, he never needed much convincing,

            Over the soft sound of Christmas music, I could hear the clatter of dishes, so I figured J.X. was in the kitchen. I left my office and was wandering down the hall when the volume of the music went up. Considerably. That song was playing. You know the one.

The smell of sugar cookies hit me before I came around the corner, but that was from the scented candle burning merrily on the table, not from any baking.

 J.X. was in the kitchen making a peanut butter sandwich, bopping and swaying as he sang along. He resorted to humming as he sucked some peanut butter off his thumb.

            “mmm mmm mmm underneath the Christmas tree. There is just one thing I need…”

            J.X. could move, no doubt about it. And he had a rather nice singing voice. I leaned against the wall and just enjoyed the show. There may even have been little hearts in my eyes.

            And then J.X. looked up and saw me. He gave me one of his mischievous grins that never failed to make my knees go weak. He never paused in his singing as he danced over to me holding out his hand. I took it and he spun me around once before pulling me in close.

            I could feel his warm breath as he whispered in my ear, “’All I want for Christmas is you’.”

            Well damn, I thought, as Mariah hit the high notes, I might just have a new favorite song.




23 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot ... to shorten the time until the next Kit + F.X. ... I am looking soooo forward to it ... Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I know! I can't wait for more Kit and J.X.!
      Haldis

      Delete
  2. Haldis, this is so wonderful, Thank you. I always suspected JX was a great dancer and you really captured how he brings life and joy and spontaneity into Mits life along with love. Great coda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, J.X. is so good for Kit!
      Haldis

      Delete
  3. How lovely and sweet! Thank you, Haldis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous coda, Haldis. Thank you for sharing.
    Judy S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So happy I could share something this year!
      Haldis

      Delete
  5. LOL. Kit's life... I can't picture JX dating a Mit

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was delightful, licked peanut butter and all! Thank you, Haldis! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! ...I really love peanut butter! I needed its comfort to get me through the number of times I had to listen to that song. 😂

      Delete
  7. Lol. Only one of Josh Lanyon's handsome heroes could make me smile while imagining that song shrieking in my ears! Well done, Haldis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I kept trying to think of who would admit to liking this song, and, well, there was really only one answer. 😂

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the lovely (and fun!) story

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet little interlude! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And now I have that song running through my head. Lol. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete