Friday, December 1, 2023

Advent Calendar Day 1

 



How is it possible that we've nearly reached the end of 2023?


How is it possible that 2023 was an even weirder year than 2022?

How is it possible--well, you get the drift. ❄️

Snow drift. Coz... Advent Calendar time again.

Oh, I know, you were probably thinking I wasn't going to bother with the AC this year given that I've been largely incommunicado for the past five or so months (but who's counting, right?) YOU WOULD BE WRONG AGAIN. Because I AM going to bother. 

Anyway, I took the break I needed from #amwriting #writinglife and I feel better for it. I've come to some conclusions, made some decisions, repapered most of my kitchen cupboards... 

I'll be back to writing in the New Year, never you fear. 

Meanwhile, CHRISTMAS COMES BUT ONCE A YEAR.

(And, yes, of course you may sub "Christmas" for the winter holiday of your choice, or no holiday at all. You do you. boo.)

If you're new here (HUH?!) the point of this little old Advent Calendar is simply to say THANK YOU to you, my readers. To share a moment or two of holiday cheer with you. To start our days (or end our evenings) with a wee bit of comfy-coziness.

In case I haven't said it enough: Thank you for buying and reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading) my books. Thank you for allowing me to earn my living doing the thing I love best. Thank you to those readers all over the world who consume my stories in languages I can't speak. Thank you to my wonderful patrons whose kindness and generosity help me through those leanish months where life gets in the way of spinning stories.

I appreciate you all very much. Full stop. Writers write for themselves, but we publish for others. I publish for YOU. I want to give you the best books I can because I want you to see the world the way I do: a place where kindness, the willingness to communicate, and the courage to love can change lives. 

I want my books to make you feel the way the holidays (ideally) make us feel. That love will find a way. That there is magic in the every day moments. That you are not alone. That everything is going to be okay. Because everything is going to be okay. 😉

So what's ahead this month? As in previous years, I'll probably share a couple of favorite holiday songs or a poem or a some inspirational pics or a vintage cartoon or a cocktail recipe (or three). There will perhaps (I cannot promise) codas from me toward the end of the month. There might be a giveaway or two from my wee little Etsy shop. And I know at least one of our talented and generous friends will contribute some fiction or art. 

In other words, every day will be as much of a surprise to me as to you. But good surprises. The best kind of surprises!   

Happy Holidays, my dear reader-friends. May all your days be merry and bright!


The Advent Calendar is Now Open




16 comments:

  1. Blessed Yule, Happy Holidays, and everything in between!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And some of us re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-read/listen! We thank you for making our lives happier and providing safe places to escape to 🙂 I always enjoy the Advent calendar! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking very forward to this! A little friendly light each day. Thank you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Holidays to you as well, Josh. :) So glad you decided to do the calendar. It’s my guarantee of a smile at least once a day. Hope it makes your holidays just a wee bit brighter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear you are allowing yourself to get recharged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is wonderful that you are celebrating Christmas with your readers! I have been blasting through 32 of your novels and novellas in the past 3 months and I am looking forward to reading “And Then There Were Some“ in the upcoming year. Your extensive backlist will keep me busy until then. Thank you for your lovely books and vivid writing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Highlight of the year! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you are feeling better after your break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo Hoo!! Advent Calendar time again. I now realize how much I was looking forward to this. My son's wedding was December 1, so I was a little busy and didn't get to see this until today. I'm still on a high from the wedding, so I'm a little giddy this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's wonderful that you are celebrating Christmas with your readers! This year I have been blasting through 32 of your novels and novellas. There still is plenty material on your backlist for me to catch up on, as we wait for "And Then There Were Some" to be released in then new year. Thank you for your fantastic writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Holidays to you! So nice to see the Advent Calendar this year. I love opening it up every morning to see what little treat is inside! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much. Along with others, I appreciate what you share with us here on your blog. When I discovered your advent calendar several years ago, I went back to the beginning and read all the posts. I've usually gone back and reread many of them since (I have several favorites 🙂). I'm thrilled to see new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something I look forward to each year. Thanks Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me happy! I am listening to Hide and Seek just now and really enjoying it. I have also been very off social media these last months (actually the last couple of years tbh) and trying to reconnect with people so this is a lovely to see <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This makes me so happy <3 I've been quite 'off' social media for the last couple of years - I've recently been making (mild) efforts to reconnect with people. I've always loved your advent calendar (AND CODAS!) Currently listening to Hide and Seek and enjoying it greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Holidays! I'm happy to see the Advent Calender up and running again! 🎄🎄🎄

    ReplyDelete