Thursday, December 22, 2022

Advent Calendar Day 22


Today I have a poem by one of my favorite poets, Amy Lowell.

Actually, this is just a fragment from the poem, which is beautiful, solemn, but maybe just a little too poignant for my mood today. It's titled "On Christmas Eve."


From On Christmas Eve


Sitting here on this Christmas Eve,

I think of you asleep above,

And the house has a gentleness which clings,

And a wide content of love.

What you have said and what you have done,

I should not have known enough to seek them,

But now the very rooms you leave

Have a peace which hangs like a hyacinth scent

All about them.

Your ways, your thoughts,

I would surely rather lose the sun

Than be without them.




3 comments:

  1. Josh, thanks for sharing Amy Lowell's poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful and made me a little teary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Truly beautiful. Going to find the whole piece.

    ReplyDelete