Saturday, December 4, 2021

Advent Calendar Day 4

 

This doesn't look like that recipe to me!

According to my compass, it's Saturday, and you know what that means: HERE THERE BE DRINKING.

I have a confession. Despite its prevalence in literature--possibly even my own--I've never actually had a Hot Buttered Rum

The Office Elf found it for me, so I don't know how good it is, I'm pretty sure the Office Elf has also never had a Hot Buttered Rum. So we can try this recipe out together. 

If you know a better variation (or a better cocktail) feel free to share in the comments below. 


Ingredients

2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar

1 tablespoon softened butter

1 splash pure vanilla extract

1 dash ground cinnamon

1 dash ground nutmeg

1 dash ground allspice

2 ounces dark rum

4 ounces hot water

Garnish with a cinnamon stick

Place the sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and spices into the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or mug and mix well. Pour in the rum and top it with hot water. Garnish with cinnamon stick.


Can that really be it???







10 comments:

  1. I've never had a Hot Buttered Rum either - could it be just a literary device? - but this sounds so yummy! Like a SnickerDoodle in a glass. Hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough, I am a rum drinker and I've never had a hot buttered rum. This must be remedied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only ever had the hot buttered rum mix that you find in the little tubs at the grocery store this time of year. My mom used to get that every year. Just add hot water and rum.
    I prefer just making some hot cocoa and adding a splash of triple sec.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds right! I used to have them at this little bar on State Street in Madison, Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had it, but not with all the spices. I didn't want to fiddle with it. But it is good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had it a couple times but I tend to be a no frills whiskey drinker rather than cocktails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had a Hot Buttered Rum in my life. Never had rum in my life.
    Alright, I admit it: I don't drink anything alcoholic. I probably miss a lot of fun - my favourite drink is... still water! :D I'm an utterly boring person, I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So. Crazy. Good! I’ve only had it a couple times, at Smuggler’s Cove in SF - both bar and drink recommended! Seriously if you ever find yourself in San Francisco, it’ll look like a dark-window front with no sign but most likely people out front. Go in! It’s done properly over the top! Great to the lowest level bar and order the Hot Buttered Rum. Then thank me!😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness it seems so good! I have to try that!!! Thank you for the tip.
    My favorite for Christmas is not a cocktail, more a comfort drink:
    - Hot milk piping hot
    - A tea spoon of honey
    - A BIG spoon of Amareto (yum!)
    - Some whipped cream above
    - And sprinkles of cocoa, cinnamon or salty caramel
    Enjoy in front of the tree/hearth/falling snow :D

    ReplyDelete