Monday, February 21, 2022

FATAL SHADOWS: THE COLLECTOR'S EDITION

It's live! 





  This special 20th Anniversary edition includes illustrations, character interviews, and holiday codas--including a new and exclusive short story-length coda written for Christmas 2021--as well as other curiosities.


All in all, over 400 pages of Adrien English and Jake Riordan!




From Christmas Coda 2021


“Whoa,” Jake said. “I could feel that frown from the front door.”

I glanced up from the pages of the glossy magazine Natalie had left on my desk, and stopped scowling. “Hey. I didn’t hear you come in.”

As Jake reached me, I pulled my mask down, and we kissed hello. The pressure of his mouth was warm against mine, and our lips lingered…lingered… Turns out, love is sticky stuff.

We reluctantly parted—and Jake promptly, gently pulled my mask back up. He pulled his mask up.

I sighed. “You know, it’s after-hours. We’re alone now.”

He touched the tip of my masked nose. “Yep. It’s just you, me, and fifty billion germs.”

The agreement we made was I’d continue to work at Cloak and Dagger through the pandemic, but promised to be extra-diligent and super-vigilant about following all virus protocols. Which I complied with because A – I’m not an idiot, and B – making Jake happy is a priority for me.

I mean, it’s a mask. Try being on a fucking ventilator. Been there, done that, and will do everything in my power to avoid repeating the experience.

“Speaking of catching germs. How’d your day go?” I asked.

In September, Jake had landed a job with Brannigan Investigations, one of LA’s oldest PI firms. It hadn’t been an easy transition. For one thing, it closed the door, once and for all, on his career in law enforcement. Which…that door was already closed, but this was like installing a deadbolt. But also, Jake liked the freedom of being his own boss. What he hadn’t liked was the unpredictability of the kinds of cases that came his way—when they came his way—or the precariousness of his finances. So he’d taken the job at Brannigan Investigations.

Fortunately, they seemed to really like him there, and he liked the owner, Mary Brannigan, the granddaughter of the original Brannigan. Jake liked having resources, and respect, and a steady paycheck.

“Good,” he said. “Even better, I’ve got the next four days off.”

Four days? Wow. They gave you Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day, and whatever Monday is?” That was more than cool because I too had Christmas Eve, Christmas, Boxing Day, and whatever Monday was. Taking time off was part of my commitment to a new healthier and more balanced lifestyle.

Jake said, “I’m thinking Monday is a travel day.”

My brows shot up. “A travel day? Where are you going?”

“We can talk about it on the drive home. You ready to head out?”

“Just waiting for you. Let me grab my coat and cat.”

He made a sound of amusement, waiting as I rounded up Tompkins, hustled him into his carrier, and struggled into my coat.

Jake took the carrier from me. On our way out, he glanced at the stairs leading to my former flat. “Is Natalie out?” he asked.

What he really meant was, Is Larkin out? Larkin, my three-month-old nephew, was Natalie’s son. Jake adored Larkin, and the feeling seemed to be mutual. Granted, Larkin seemed to adore everyone. I’ve never been much of a fan of babies, but that kid was pretty cute and not entirely objectionable.

I said, “They’re spending the holiday weekend with Lisa and Bill.” Three and a half years ago, my mother married Councilman Bill Dauten, thus supplying me with three ready-made sisters, all accessories included. The latest accessory being the aforementioned Larkin.

Jake frowned. “Then who’s running the bookstore?” Jumping to the conclusion that I was backing out of our agreement.

I said patiently, “Which means, Angus and Bliss are covering tomorrow, and then we’re closed until next Wednesday.”

Bliss was my latest hire. She was…interesting, as girls—young women—with mermaid-colored hair so often are. I felt she was a woman of possibilities. One possibility being—though I denied it when Jake suggested such a thing—that I thought Bliss might provide a good distraction for Angus, who continued to be worryingly smitten with Natalie.

Jake relaxed. I held the door for him, patting his back as he carried Tompkins out.

 

 

“What is it about the extravagance of minimalist coats and soft layers that so disturbs you?” Jake asked as we merged onto the I-210.

“Huh?” I stared blankly at his profile.

“That magazine you were reading. The one you were muttering over. The one you rolled up and stuck in your coat pocket.”

I smiled reluctantly. “Was I muttering?”

“Yep.” He glanced my way, his hazel eyes humorous, though the question was sincere.

“It’s not winter fashion that worries me, though if you’d seen some of those boots… It’s the results of a compatibility quiz.”

His brows drew together. “You don’t think we’re compatible?”

Us? We’re compatible. I mean, I don’t know if we’re compatible on paper, but we’re compatible in real life. No. Natalie was taking the quiz.”

“I see.”

I wasn’t sure he did.

“Whoever she was trying to answer on behalf of is not someone she should be marrying. Or even rooming with. These answers are a Dateline waiting to happen.”

“Hm.” I always loved the way the hard line of his mouth would twitch when he found something funny but wasn’t allowing himself an actual smile.

Reaching into the back seat, dodging Tompkins who tried to claw me through the bars of his crate, I fished the rolled magazine from my coat pocket. I unfurled the pages of pouty-looking girls in coats that looked like crayon-colored collapsed parachutes (How could something that bulky be minimalist?).

“Seriously. Listen to this. How many times a day would you call your spouse to know how he/she is doing?

Jake was silent.

I said, “Natalie’s answer is three times. Which…okay. Maybe? If a lot of stuff was going on? Her stalker’s answer—whoever he is—is eight. Eight times a day! He’s calling every hour.”

“That sounds like Angus.”

“Does it? But she’s working with Angus, so he can just yell hey you across the aisle. It sure as hell isn’t Warren. If he called her once a week, I’d be impressed. Part of my worry is, I’m not sure if she’s guessing this guy’s answers, or if these are actually his answers. What does that tell you?”

“That we don’t know,” Jake replied. “We also don’t know if this is the new guy.”

I stared. “What new guy?”

He gave me a sideways look. “I think there’s a new guy.”

“Why would you think that?”

He nodded at the magazine. “Aren’t compatibility quizzes the kind of thing people do when they first meet?”

My heart sank. But yeah. He was probably right. I said darkly, “Some people. Don’t ask me. I never filled out a compatibility quiz in my life. Did you?”

“No.” His mouth quirked. “Maybe that was our mistake.”

“Yeah. That was the holdup. We never took the time to see if we agreed on…” I looked down at the magazine page and read aloud: “What is your idea of a romantic date?

“Obviously a crime scene.”

“Right? It doesn’t get more romantic than that.” I tried another one. “Do you have a huge tolerance capability?

“What does that mean? For alcohol?”

“I doubt it’s alcohol.”

“Does huge make sense in another context?”

I snorted, but said doubtfully, “Could they mean tolerance as in patience?”

“What answer did Natalie give?”

“Natalie says yes. No surprise there. Mr. X says no. No. I’m telling you, Keith Morrison is going to be knocking on our door any minute now.”

“Maybe this guy’s just being funny.”

“Maybe. Okay, here’s a weird-ass question. I mean, what mad scientist came up with these? What are the things you would like to take control of in your partner’s life after you both get into a serious relationship?

“What does that mean?”

“Exactly. What does that mean?”

Jake asked, “What were their answers?”

“Natalie wrote: I would like to be there to share his burdens and ease his worries. I would like to be a true partner in all things good and bad.

Jake said noncommittally, “That’s sweet.”

“Yeah, and she means it. She’s doomed. Bachelor Number One answered: her finances, her relationships with others who take advantage of her, and, and, listen to this one: be a role model for her son!

Jake was silent for a moment. “You know, we aren’t sure whether these answers are Natalie’s wishful thinking. Also, this guy may not be good at expressing himself. Also, some of the questions are a little off. Like that last one. I’m not sure there’s a right answer to that.”

“Fair enough.” I tried to decipher some of Natalie’s scribbled notes. “I can tell you right now, these responses are not from Angus. And I doubt they’re Warren’s. Not from anything I’ve seen of Warren.”

“No, this is somebody new.”

I murmured, “Why wouldn’t she tell us if she’s seeing someone new?”

Jake grunted. I’ve never known anyone who could pack so much into a nonverbal utterance.

I made a face. “Yeah. Okay. The thing is, I’d love for Natalie to find a nice guy who would treat her well and be a good father to Larkin. It’s not like I want to get sucked into the family drama.”

“I know.”

Just when I thought I was out, they pullll me back in.” I did my best Michael Corleone impression which, granted, was not very good.

Jake made a pained sound.

“She’s still fighting establishing the kid’s paternity.”

That time, Jake’s “I know” was a lot more disapproving.

“Angus is on pins and needles, waiting for her to figure out what she’s doing. Warren’s started hinting that he needs some kind of financial support in order to stay in her life. And I know it’s her life and that most, if not all of this, is none of our business.”

“You care. You’re concerned. That’s understandable. But we don’t know that there’s anything to worry about yet. Nat’s still at the filling-out-compatibility-quizzes stage.”

I shook my head, read: “How good are you at keeping secrets? Natalie says she’s great, which proves she’s delusional. Mr. X says excellent.”

Jake and I exchanged looks.

 


12 comments:

  1. Wow... Pandemic... It sounds like my favorite Adrien and Jake are living in the same world with us. Hope they are both in good health (^^). Just realized that Jake had not talked about his travel Monday yet. Where is he going? Will he travel with Adrien again? Really want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thrilled! YAY! Just ordered my 1st HC Josh Lanyon book...
    My early B-day present to myself!
    rdafan7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo!!!! Happy 2-22-2022 to me!!! 😄😆🤣

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as it will become available in my country, I will get a copy. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always pictured Jake like Kurt Russell in 'Stargate' (the haircut, the uniform, the side eye), and Adrien as a young Montgomery Clift with tousled hair. But I can easily live with this cover. Cannot wait for my copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Those are good references! I think of Jake as kind of a young Tom Berenger. I can't wait to get the book! We're supposed to go to Greece in early April and I'm hoping this cam be my airplane reading!!

      Delete
  6. Ordered! Can't wait to get it :D

    Sadonna

    ReplyDelete
  7. will this be available on kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazon claims I'll get it today!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes!! My book arrived today!! I could swoon!! ❤❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something made me check out Josh's blog today and I saw this was live!!! Im deeming it fate. Ordered it and now will be anxiously awaiting it.

    ReplyDelete