Friday, February 4, 2022

THE MOVIE-TOWN MURDERS Playlist

 


Now that I've got Fatal Shadows: The Collector's Edition in the can--well, let me clarify! The edits are complete and the book is now being formatted. We have houseguests this weekend, so I'm not sure it will be submitted for publication before the end of the month. Obviously, that's what we're trying for, but I want to keep expectations realistic.

Anyway, now that my part in FSCE is complete, I've started work on The Movie-Town Murders. I've changed quite a bit of my original idea, frankly because I was freaking myself out with certain aspects (i.e. snuff films--the more I researched, the sicker and sadder I felt). 

I mean, once upon a time, I think one could argue that snuff films were simply gruesome urban legends. Now? The world is nuts. I take nothing for granted.

So anyway, that was just too much for me, and I've made some major tweaks to the plot. I like the story much better--and I assume you will too.

The goal is to finish at the end of *February. That's what I'm aiming for. However, there's a lot of research involved, and I haven't worked in this world since 2019, so it might take a little bit longer--not a lot!--but this is the project I'm focused on. I'm working as quickly as I can while still trying to make sure this is a book that was worth the wait. 

Anyway, as I work I'm listening to my "official" playlist.


The Movie-Town Murders Playlist

 

 

Geronimo - Sheppard  

 

What Led Me to This Town - The Jayhawks

 

Connection - OneRepublic

 

Buried Treasure - Grant-Lee Phillips

 

Nightwatchman - Tom Petty

 

Rescue Me - OneRepublic

 

 

The Edge Of Glory - Lady Gaga

 

All This Time - OneRepublic

 

 

*That was indeed the goal, but it's looking more like March now. 
**OR POSSIBLY MAY. yeesh.

13 comments:

  1. So excited! I'm glad you shifted away from an involved snuff film focus. Out of emotional preservation, I keep my "oh dear God, NO" threshold pretty low. I didn't think you'd get way detailed but as you said, just the thought that people are that sick is horrifying enough. Regardless, I know I'll love what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally completed the detailed outline and I'm SO much happier. I think my discomfort with aspects of the original idea was part of my problem writing it. It just wouldn't come together. And the research... YIKES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to love whatever you come up with, because we'll it's you. And Jason...and Sam, I guess. LOL. I'm excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your playlists! ❤️ I’m very thankful you moved away from snuff. I’ve never glimpsed one because it’s too horrifying to think of and once seen…you just can’t unsee it in your mind’s eye even if it’s a fictional story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I already know way more than I ever wanted. It's not useful stuff to put in your brain.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to hear it's not going to be snuff films--I'm still traumatized by a mystery I read decades ago on that topic! I feel like every author I know is doing a major plot overhaul on their WIP right now, myself included. Pandemic times make for weird creative decisions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, a pandemic is a life-changing event. So it's natural that it would be an art-changing event as well.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on selling volume 5 soon. It's great to see Jason and Sam again. The translated version in my country's language will probably be a year later, but I'm looking forward to it. I hope the mystery is solved, but I also hope that Ethan's murderer is caught.
    I also hope that Elliot or Tucker will appear in connection with Ethan's case, which became a cold case. I'm looking forward to it.

    Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh. Elliot and Tucker. I need to go back and refresh my memory. It's so long since I've looked at those books. Not since I wrote them!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you decided against the snuff film line too- I can't imagine Jason would have ever slept again! I have re read the series twice in the lead up to the next installment so I guess you could say i am a little excited lol!

    On a related tangent, what are the chances of ever catching up with Rob and Adam from Winter Kill? I have to re read that whenever I revisit the Art of Murder series ad now I am dying to know how those lads are going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm re-listening to Rob and Adam now! A coda to update us would be very, very welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great playlist!!! Thanks so much for creating and sharing it. I know what you mean about how music can influence writing. I'm nowhere near your league as a writer but for about a dozen years, I wrote fanfic: music was my regular go-to for inspiration. I virtually inhaled the Movie Town 5 book. And I don't mean this as a criticism because a writer has to do what a writer has to do, but I found the ending utterly shocking and very disconcerting. I'd be surprised if all your books aren't snapped up as soon as they are available just because you're such a great writer and we love your characters... so a 'hook' is hopefully not needed to be sure people return for the next book. Lol, I hope we won't have to wait too long for it - but I also know the muse is a harsh mistress and works on her own terms. ;) Above all, I hope you're well and enjoy writing the books as much as we all enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete