Friday, March 11, 2022

In Our Last Episode...

 


Holy moly.

Where the hell was I? Is it really Spring?

(According to the calendar, no. According to my garden, yes.)

So there's no denying starting the year out sick has slowed me down a bit. That said, it's still been a really productive start to 2022. 

It's disappointing that Fatal Shadows: The Collector's Edition is technically available, but nothing seems to have shipped yet. So I keep forgetting that I finally got that done. But I did, so cross that off the list.

As you know, I've been working on strategies to keep my creativity high and my burnout level low. One thing I came up with is every morning, before I check email or do anything but have coffee, I write 500 (minimum) words on Hide and Seek. (The serialized novel I'm doing for Patreon.) This has turned out to be genius. Because it's only five hundred words, I know I can do it, regardless of how I feel or potential interruptions, and it gets me past that wobbly BUT I DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH!!! phase of writing my "real" rough drafts. 

Basically, I'm tricking myself into writing before I have time to think about it. For anyone suffering from writer's block or burn out, this could be the way to get past it. It's definitely working for me. I start out the day hitting goals and being creative, which is inspiring in itself. And I'm able to deliver a chapter of Hide and Seek to Patreon just about every single week. Which is so fun because then I get the feedback in real time.

And it gives me extra product because I'll put the audio of the book up for sale eventually. We're all always trying to find more ways to be productive, so this is my recommendation. Write a little bit every single day on an "extra" project. Something completely different. Something just for fun.

Meanwhile, I just spent FOUR full days in tax hell doing two years-worth of taxes. (PRO TIP: DON'T SKIP DOING YOUR TAXES EVERY YEAR, NO MATTER WHAT.) Three days to pull all the paperwork together and one day at our accountant's office. YES. From 8:30 in the morning until 3:30 in the afternoon. It took so ((**&&^^%$##@#@@!@ing long that she ended up having to pause us to take other clients and then bring us back. Oh, and let's not forget the two-hour drive to get there and back. It was exhausting. I find tax time really stressful anyway, and that's because I don't have a good accounting system. I have a rough idea of what I'm earning--and weirdly enough, last year was one of my highest ever income years?!?--but I'm not clear on what my expenses are. And when the writing is not going well, I tend to compensate by enrolling in online courses or investing in software  or buying lots of cover art for projects yet to be written ALL OF WHICH I RARELY IF EVER USE. 

It's not a great way to run a business (which is what writing is). 

I'm an emotional spender. Which was demonstrated clearly in my taxes. And, frankly, last year was a more "emotional" year than some.

Lesson learned? I hope so. I'm trying very hard to make this the year I get my, er, ducks in a row. But


the number of ducks I have is kind of daunting. Like, for example, I was unaware that where I live it's technically illegal to rent my second house to family unless I have a business license, a safety inspection, etc. So... Okay. I'm now trying to bring all of that up to date because I've been "renting" to family for years. 

What I'm trying to say here is life keeps getting in the way of my plans, particularly my writing plans.

Which brings us to The Movie-Town Murders. I'm currently one third of the way through the book (despite a couple of huge glitches regarding research and rewriting) which would be right on schedule, however a couple of real life things have cropped up. Like an unscheduled weeklong visit from my bestie. I'm going to grab as much writing time as I can during that week, but obviously it's not going to be my usual work day. And that's okay, life happens, and I love my friend and literally can't wait to see her. 

It may or may not mean a week's delay on the book release. Hopefully not, but I'm trying to be realistic and communicate clearly to you what's going on. 

The book is coming and it's good. I love it and I love this phase of Jason and Sam's relationship. As usual, they're largely working apart, but it's interesting to explore how they navigate the distance now that their relationship has been tested so severely. And of course everything is building toward the sixth and final book. 


I guess what I'm saying is, everything is coming along, though perhaps more slowly than I (and you) would like. I feel relaxed and confident about the work and, even about life in general, though the earth continues to hurtle toward the sun.

I'M KIDDING.

Well, no, I'm not. But I've come to terms with our new normal, and I'm reasonably calm and surprisingly creative, and I will take the wins where I find them. ;-) 

Hey, don't forget Daylight Savings Time begins this weekend. I. CAN'T. WAIT. But seriously, I do like DSL. I vote we keep it. What about you? 



15 comments:

  1. I like the daylight, I hate the time change. It messes my body up. And trust me, my body has enough to contend with! In other news, this is the weekend my hair will fall out. LOL. Surprisingly enough, I'm ready. Hug your bestie for me and don't feel bad about one single minute you spend with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, M. ❤ And yes, Josh enjoy your bestie's visit! You seem to be in a great place right now personally and professionally and that's so wonderful!

      Delete
    2. It was so good to see her. It's tough living across the country from your best pal.

      Delete
    3. M., you're an inspiration to the rest of us.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve been very busy! I’m so glad you have found a way to work that is beneficial. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm maybe finally figuring a few things out about how I work now. It took me a long time to accept that I was never again going to write at the speed of hair-on-fire. I'm finally okay with that.

      Delete
  4. I vote we please just STOP SWITCHING THE TIME. I don't care if it is daylight savings or dark or whatever. Just STOP IT. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D But now you're all comfy again, right? IT WASN'T SO BAD, RIGHT? RIGHT?

      Delete
  5. The sixth and the final?! Oh my God~there will be seven in the end;) I love Jason and Sam so much! Dear Josh, just take your time, good things are always worthy to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "building toward the sixth and final book" Oh, I'm happy to read this. I thought *this* was the final book, and I'm NOT happy to let these guys go yet. I'm so glad I get to look forward to another book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It finally occurred to me I was going to have to shove too much into one book and that was going to shortchange the story and the characters. Plus I wasn't ready to say goodbye. :-D

      Delete
  7. I have to comment on the most distressing thing to me in your post "toward the sixth and final book." of the Art of Murder series with Sam & Jason. I REALLY like these guys and HOPE you may reconsider, it has been such a fun and exciting series, as a matter of fact I am re-reading them now. I am glad you take time out for friends & such and don't let yourself get burned out by deadlines (or taxes). RDAFAN7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be agonizing to say goodbye to them eventually because A - there's no shortage of art crime and B - I love these two so much. I have to do something holiday-related with them because I have this vision of Jason arriving at a snowy Montana cabin where Sam is working, and I know they're spending the holiday together. I know Jason has been promoted and Sam is now working freelance or as a consultant or something, but it's not clear. So who knows. Clearly I see something for them in the future, though it might not be an actual book.

      Delete