Sunday, September 25, 2022

The Mystery of Hallmark's Movies and Mysteries Programming

 


I was trying to figure out what in the blue blazes happened to Hallmark Movies and Mysteries handsdown best series Mystery 101, when I stumbled on this little gem of an article at Giant Freaking Robot wherein I learned that Hallmark is locked in mortal combat with something called Great American Media. 

Just the name alone, right? CLUE.

You can read the article for the full details, but one little nugget I gleaned is that some blame Hallmark's struggles for audience share on all that wild and crazy diversity Hallmark is shoving down everyone's throats. 

Which... HUH? I guess they mean there are a couple of shows with African American leads and a couple of holiday movies with...GULP...g-g-gay people? 

For example, Bill Abbott, the departing CEO of Crown Media Family (which owns the Hallmark Channel) AND an outspoken opponent of  "diversity and inclusion initiatives," shared his concern that they (diversity and inclusion???)  will change the tone of a channel where once, viewers could expect light-hearted fun without having to consider “dark situations, violence, sexual situations, things that just…create anxiety," says Abbott. His goals for Great American Media involve the integrity of its stars and heartwarming stories.

Take a moment to unpack all that and then consider the quaint notion that gay people are somehow not compatible with Faith, Family, and Country or lighthearted fun and heartwarming content.

For HEAVEN'S SAKE. And I do mean that literally. What is the MATTER with you weirdos? 

Why on earth would stories about LGBTQ people have to be dark, violent and sexual? Do you think maybe you're projecting a wee bit?

But I'm not even going to try and tackle that level of insanity. Instead, I'm going to point out the obvious to whoever is currently in charge of programming over at Hallmark Movies and Mysteries. Oh. Right. Michelle Vicary.

If you call your channel Movies and MYSTERIES, you obviously want to attract MYSTERY viewers. You know, viewers who like MYSTERIES. And who have probably ALREADY seen all the episodes of Monk, Murder, She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder and Hart to Hart like a BILLION times. That's not fresh content, nor do we need to turn to Hallmark to see old shows that are pretty much streamable on every content provider we have. 

NOR do your regular non-mystery viewers need to turn to the Movies and MYSTERIES channel to see the same schmaltzy content they can see on all your other channels.

Do you understand what I'm saying, Michelle? Viewers like me tune into Movies and MYSTERIES because we're hoping to see more MYSTERIES. Not just mysteries, mysteries with that peculiarly cozy comforting Hallmark vibe. The Faith, Family, Country vibe that--dare I say it?--is not the exclusive property of straight, white, right-wingers who create their content mostly in CANADA.

Do I wish you had a cozy mystery series or two that featured LGBTQ protags? I sure do. But at this point I'd be thrilled if you had ANY mysteries featuring ANY credible protags. I want to scream every time another of those month-long Christmas in Another Inappropriate Month extravaganzas start. 


You had some charming little mystery shows with devoted followings: Mystery 101, the Martha's Vineyard mysteries, the Crossword Mysteries, and even Ruby Herring (she was growing on me!). 

Personally, I think Aurora Teagarden and Hannah Swenson--as much as I enjoyed them both--have run their course, so oh well.

And then there were the so-so offerings. They tried. You tried. I respect that. 

What I don't respect, let alone understand, is yanking shows that were just getting their footing, finding their audience, bringing in the views and market share you desperately need. That's not how the mystery world works! That's not how you win a mystery reading-viewing audience. Mysteries are more cerebral than romance. You have to win our minds as well as our hearts. It takes time. It takes more than beloved Aunt Joan dying in a freak logging accident and leaving spunky Samantha a Christmas Tree farm and a cranky but hunky (widowed-with-one-adorable-poppet) head lumber jack who's forgotten the meaning of Christmas.

I'll be frank. I think you lost your nerve. I see a new crop of not-very-promising contenders. Maybe Francesca Quinn, PI. Maybe. But I'm afraid to get my hopes up. I'm afraid to commit to any of your new shows because you broke that most sacred covenant. You commited the worst crime you can against a mystery reader: you cancelled mid-series. ON A CLIFF HANGER. 



P.S. Signed, Sealed, and Delivered is NOT a mystery.

15 comments:

  1. I read the article when I saw your tweet this morning and agree with much of what you say. We've had this conversation before about how the media likes to sensationalize what isn't all that salacious to begin with, so instead of allowing viewers to make up their own minds, they're poisoned one way or another against something. Also, it's HALLMARK, FFS... they don't really DO “dark situations, violence, sexual situations, things that just…create anxiety."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was trying to picture in what universe: A - a script where sexuality of any kind was the focus and B - a script where dark situations, violence, and anxiety-inducing events would ever be acquired by Hallmark.

      Delete
  2. Well. I think I will stick with Britbox and Acorn. They're made in San Antonio where people know what picante sauce shou......oops, wrong product.
    Although, Hope Street ended on a frickin cliffhanger with no sign of season two.
    But, yeah, Hallmark...I liked that one a few years ago with, Kelly Martin? I think? She had a mystery bookstore. I mean HELLO! MYSTERY BOOKSTORE! And the crossword one was good, but Aurora Teagarden was on ALL THE TIME! Really!? And Murder, She Baked? Again, REALLY?
    I think I'll go watch some Agatha Raisin or maybe the new Maigret, since I just finished Dalgliesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen Recipes for Love and Murder? I cannot recommend enough. SO. Good. Especially after a string of fails like that ghastly waste of Jane Seymour's time--and the aimless dialed-it-in thing with Brian Brown and Greta Scacchi.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Mystery Woman was fun. You know, they would be better off rerunning the very earliest incarnations of that show versus the never-ending repeats of Diagnosis Murder and Monk. And I hasten to add, I still love DM and MSW and H2H, but even I can only watch the same show so many times a year.

      Delete
    3. Hi. It’s Jolie. I LOVE Recipes for Love and Murder!! I stopped watching Hallmark mysteries for the very reason that they were never on. I did like the one with the dating show hostess.

      Delete
  3. GAC has lured away a large number of Hallmark stars, including Jill Wagner who starred in the Mystery 101 franchise you like so much. The exodus has decimated Hallmark's development slate, especially on the mystery side.

    It's frustrating that Hallmark has taken so long to get their act together and start producing new mystery series. For more on what actors signed with GAC, just go to the gacfamily.com website and read the NEWS section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read, the future of Mystery 101 was already in doubt before the exodus began, but yes, losing talent is obviously going to make everything more difficult. And subpar efforts like last night's Francesca Quinn, PI, isn't going to help.

      Delete
    2. Also, thanks for sharing that website (not that I will stop complaining, but it does refocus my exasperation) ;-D

      Delete
  4. Thank you for venting my vent for me! I loved "Mystery 101"! And even "Aurora Teagarden" was a kind of cringey guilty pleasure. I just really dig cozies. I confess to loving most of the Christmas movies. IMHO "The Nine Lives of Christmas" was robbed at Oscar time. 😃 Honestly, the few (one?) gay couple plots were as homogeneous and wholesome as all the other plots. It wouldn't be so danged annoying if "they" were trying as hard to fix genuine problems in the world as they are trying to find offense and darkness where none exists. People are crazy. 😵‍💫

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes. People ARE crazy. 😉 I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that 50% of the world's ills could be solved by people simply minding their own business. Or, at a minimum, keeping their opinions to themselves.

      Delete
    2. Not that I'm going to keep my opinions to myself! 😁

      Delete
  5. I used to love hallmark movies and mysteries but some of the new ones are not good what happened to murder101; crossword mysteries and gourmet detectives. I miss them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murder 101 was my absolute favorite. Followed by the Crossword Puzzles one. At the Crossword ended on a positive note. Murder 101 had that teaser tagged on, which meant it ended on the WORST possible note. If Hallmark had any mercy, they'd edit that final episode to get rid of that teaser.

      Delete
    2. I do like the Curious Caterer, but at this point I'm afraid to get too invested. I know they could pull the plug at any moment.

      Delete