Saturday, February 13, 2021

The Five Things I Look for in a Mystery-Romance

 


Valentine's Day is Sunday, so I thought I'd do a little post on what I look for in Mystery-Romance. Because we're all readers, even those of us who are also writers. 


So here's a bit of backstory. I'll admit right off the bat that it took me a really, really long time to settle down, and by the time I did finally marry I was, well...experienced. In the ways of the heart.  Or so I thought. In fact, I'd pretty well run the gamut of romantic tropes: enemies to lovers, friends to lovers, blind date, office romance, secret admirer, partners who were too young for me, partners who were too old for me, light, happy flirtations and passion bordering on obsession. 


I pretty much thought I knew all there was to know about love and relationships.


And then I got married.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA


You know that old Judy Collins song?


I've looked at love from both sides now

From give and take and still somehow

It's love's illusions that I recall

I really don't know love

Really don't know love at all



Marriage changes everything, including, in my case, my taste in reading. So what I look for in a mystery-romance might not be what everyone looks for. It might not be what YOU look for. But, for better or worse, here are The Five Things I Look for in a Mystery-Romance--AND if you know some writers out there who can supply these five things, feel free to mention them in the comment section below.



1 - Setting. NO, HEAR ME OUT! 

You know, Hallmark is onto something with all those quaint and cute towns (all in Canada, according to the SO) where love lurks around every corner. But that's not what I'm talking about. Some settings are inherently unromantic: war zones, prisons, outer space. I'm not saying romance can't happen there--there are terrific love stories set in all those places--but it's not what I enjoy. I don't need a cozy setting, but I don't want a war zone either. 

I want the story to take place in believable and interesting surroundings--and bonus points if the setting is appealing. I like the setting to feel real because I have to believe in a world in order to lose myself in it. 


2 - Grown ups. 

I'm not talking physical age so much as emotional age. I wasn't ever a silly teenager. I was either "unusual" or "weird," depending on whether you liked me. So while I don't mind reading about twenty-year-olds, I want to read about twenty-year-olds I can identify with. Which is probably very few twenty-year-olds. This is a roundabout way of saying I CANNOT BEAR CHARACTERS WHO ACT LIKE EMOTIONAL ADOLESCENTS. 


I don't mind characters who make mistakes, make bad judgment calls, do stupid things--we ALL do stupid things, things we regret. (Especially under pressure.) But I don't want to read about people ruled by their emotions, unable to channel their emotions, unable to think about anything but their emotions. I'm not saying there aren't such people in the world, but I don't want to spend time with them. I do not want to read about a cop at a crime scene who is unable to focus on anything but how HAWT his new partner is. But that's just me.


     

3 - Communication. 

Since I'm a communicator by trade, I guess it's no surprise I like characters who communicate. But it goes beyond that, because how we communicate with others reveals who were are. 

Communication reveals a lot about our emotional maturity--but also it reveals a lot about how successful we're going to be (in a variety of areas). If you can't ask for what you want, you're not going to get it. If you can't make your case to someone, again, you're not going to get what you want. If you're a bully and a jerk, you might get what you want, but someone will spit in your cup. So... ?  It's my observation that most problems between people are communication problems. Even smart, articulate people have trouble communicating when ego or hurt feelings or pride gets in the way. So I like stories where communication--good or bad--plays a role. When a guy who has trouble saying what he feels, actually finally says what he feels? That melts your heart. When a guy who never cries, cries? That melts your heart. When a guy who always says what he feels, is too hurt to speak? That melts your heart. 

But you have to establish these communication patterns for these things to register. 

What I don't like in a story is when people (not necessarily the protags) fail to communicate the obvious and necessary things. You know, the sheriff fails to mention the serial killer has been released earlier that day. OR impossibly stupid misunderstandings between lovers which I call BUT DARLING, SHE'S MY SISTER syndrome.



4 - Romantic gestures. 

*Sigh* We all love romantic gestures.


Romantic gestures are how you know things are moving along and people are falling in love. But what makes a gesture romantic really depends on the character. Flowers from a guy who sends everyone flowers, is lovely, but flowers from a guy who has never sent flowers? More romantic. Flowers to a guy who has never received flowers? More romantic. It all depends on the characters and their history. In some circumstances, Character B taking Character A's car to the shop to get his brakes checked can be super romantic. Especially if B previously cut A's brake lines. I'M KIDDING. 

Heck, switching dishes in a restaurant can be romantic. ;-) I love spotting those meaningful gestures in a story--and very often, the smaller and subtler, the more meaningful. I love to be surprised by one character doing something original and thoughtful. 


5 - A Good Mystery. 

It should be obvious, right? 

I am astonished by how often a Mystery-Romance is AT BEST romantic suspense (I do love good romantic suspense though--that's another post). Making your character a cop or a PI does not mean you've written a mystery. The cop or PI would have to actually SOLVE an intriguing crime through detective work for the story to qualify as a mystery. 

If I buy a book based on the promise that it will have mystery and romance, I EXPECT mystery and romance. I will disappointed if the book does not contain these things. I'm not saying the mystery has to confound me, but it has to keep me interested and entertained. Once you've seen and read as much crime fiction as I have, it's no longer about who the culprit is, it's how fun can the author make this game.




Anyway, that's my want list. Who can you recommend?  

By the way, the SO tells me we are celebrating our FOURTEENTH wedding anniversary this month. So maybe I do know love a little. ;-)  



3 comments:

  1. Happy wedding anniversary! <3
    I think I can relate to everything you said, probably because I've always been the "unusual"/"Weird" one too ;)
    And i also thinks that romantic gestures are more linked to persona than just a bouquet a flowers (well St Valentine means my mom's birthday for me and usually going to buy her a huge bouquet taught me a lot about the men buying flowers for this day, and not so much good things!). I've never married (I probably know nothing about love, come to think of it LOL) but I had my share of realtionships in the past and the most romantic getsures were rarely the most obvious ones. It was my ex-companion leaving super early on a time were I was really down and coming back 3 hours later... With the book I wanted so much (he went to the outside queue in winter to get it to me on the release date just to make me smile). That was SO romantic! Or a friend I started dating and who wanted to bring me glowers but the flowershop was already closed. So he arrived with his hair and clothes in a mess and glasses askew and just a pansy between his teeth... He actually crossed 4 lanes to get it from the middle of a huge roundabout at a time when the traffic was the worst... That was crazy romantic! *_*
    And all you wrote up here is probably the reason why you remain the my favorite writer: I believe in your characters and what they go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Josh for sharing! I adore your books and especially like the way your characters are mature emotionally and really do communicate! It is dellightfull to spend time with them!
    As for recommendations I really like works by Charlie Adhara, K.J. Charles - Magpie Lord series, Megan Derr books - for example mystery story Godfrey and the Detective and S.E. Harmon spectral files series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Josh for sharing! I adore your books and especially like the way your characters are mature emotionally and really do communicate! It is dellightfull to spend time with them!
    As for recommendations I really like works by Charlie Adhara, K.J. Charles - Magpie Lord series, Megan Derr books - for example mystery story Godfrey and the Detective and S.E. Harmon spectral files series.

    ReplyDelete