Friday, June 19, 2020

Baby Steps, Baby

Secret at Skull House is out in audio at all the usual places!

Audible
Amazon
iTunes (eventually, I guess)


After his former flame disappears following their loud and public argument, Ellery seems to be Police Chief Carson’s first—and only—suspect.



I think Matt Haynes does a terrific job with these. I have a feeling his is a voice you either love or hate. I happen to love it and think he's the perfect narrator for these slightly quirky, unexpectedly gentle mysteries.

So that's the first bit of news.

The second bit of news is  as I'M WRITING AGAIN.

I mean, I was still writing, but without any real focus or aim. For example, drowning is technically a kind of swimming, but it's not typically what we're going for when we jump in a lake.

So yes, I'm writing. It's just a little oddball short story. I was going to put out the next collection of short stories--oh! Look at my nice cover...


And I realized I was about two stories short. A couple of stories I had been counting on are actually novellas. So. I asked my patrons for some ideas and they came up with a number of possibilities, several of which I'm folding into a story called Requiem for Mr. Busybody.


“Maybe you’ll be next, Mr. Busybody!”


 From well-respected investigative journalist to resident busybody.


When former journalist Michael’s elderly friend Maurice suddenly disappears, he fears the worst. But Michael is unable to investigate and no one is taking his suspicions seriously—least of all, Todd, Maurice’s too-slick, too-smooth, possibly guilty boyfriend.


The only person Michael can think of who might listen is Leonard Drake, now a Lieutenant Detective with NYPD.


In fact, this excuse to contact his ex might just be what Michael has been waiting three years for.


What I like about short stories--what I find helpful in my current state of mind (or lack of state of mind)--is the tight structure. There really is no wiggle room in a short story. There is no waffling. You have to stay precise and on point. And that's really good for my agitated cricket brain right now. 

So we'll see what happens. I'm not putting it up for preorders. If I finish in time, it will drop at the end of the month. And if I don't, it won't. 

Fingers crossed. 




14 comments:

  1. I'm really excited for this, and the short stories. I hope you end up doing an audio of the short stories because I love listening to them. You just keep on keepin on doing whatever you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! but you're going to have to change your cover to "(2014-2020)".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on doing the kind of writing that you so enjoy, and I'm so glad that Fanyons were able to throw you a metaphorical life preserver, hahahahahaha...sorry. I had to try that. Can't wait to "dive in"! (Don't hate me.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you're wading deeper back into the writing!I hope it's giving your brain the strength to push out the ugliness that is our world these days and get your focus where you want it. I said it once and I'll say it lots more: Your books are a huge part of bringing us joy and escape. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough. Two steps forward, one step back. But honestly, it does help when I read comments like this. Maybe because everything feels sort of pointless right now. But then there's the reminder that my stories can be helpful to someone else. That means everything.

      Delete
  5. And furthermore... the Skull House audio???? You DO love me! 😄😄😉 I vote that Matt Haynes is perfect for this series. You can tell the characters apart, and Ellery has a precious, quirky way that I just love! Good news.😍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover for Requiem for Mr Busybody. Reminds me a bit of the cover of Murder in Pastel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?? So interesting! I love both those covers though.

      Delete
  7. Oh joy! I can't wait to read all these short stories. I re-read "In sunshine or in shadow" anthology every 5 weeks. Your short stories are so good and you have a great talent for these. And I feel really curious about M. Busybody so count me in again for the 2!
    It's great that you found something you want to write despite the worldwide issues. I can't (and don't want to) remember the time when I didn't know your books and I can't imagine how unbearable the lockdown would have been without them.
    God luck with the new stories ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Almathea. <3 It really does mean a lot to read this.

      Delete