Friday, February 17, 2023

Google Me This

 

Johanna Ollila


I've been trying to move all of my backlist titles onto Google Play. Technically, I've been on there for a few years, but I've only focused on listing the new releases. A lot of my backlist consists of the original files I uploaded when I first turned ot self-publishing, and so they don't always pass ebook checks on iBooks or wide distribution on Smashwords. 

But it's like everything else, it takes time. I put off reformatting because I wanted to redo some of the old book blurbs and replace a lot of my covers. Not because I don't still love a lot of my old covers--in some cases, I love the old covers more than the new--but after a while the old covers, no matter how good, become wallpaper. 

A lot of my covers are over ten years old! A refresh is not unreasonable after a decade.

Cover art is really interesting in how it subsconsciously affects the decision to further investigate a book. I've been taking note of my own browsing/buying patterns, and it's fascinating how often I'll pass right by cover after cover. Not consciously judging the cover--barely even registering the cover, in most cases. It's something the colors and layout that get me to pause long enough to read the title--which is often a make or break right there--and then to really look at the cover. And then comes another moment of (often unconscious) decision whether to read the blurb. 

And it all happens within less than a second. That's the fascinating part. How fast those unconscious decisions are made and acted on. 

For the readers looking specifically for you or your book, the title, the cover, the blurb aren't so crucial. Those readers already are weighing whether to buy, so it gets down to the particulars of plot and story and characters. But for that vast majority of readers who are just scrolling through, that first glimpse of a teeny-tiny postage stamp cover is make or break.

So it makes sense to change the scenery now and again. 

There's something magical about cover art. When it's good, it can affect how you feel about your own book. When it's bad...it becomes a factor in the decison to self-publish. ;-D 

Anyway, not all readers are enthusiastic about cover changes. And I understand that because I'm someone who has more than once bought a (print) book for the cover. But that's the transitory nature of ebooks. On the one hand the book can stay in print forever. On the other hand, many things about that book can change in a relatively short space of time.

So anyway, here are some of my recent cover changes. These particular ones are all from James at GoOnWrite. In some cases I still love the original cover more. In some cases I loved the original cover but it didn't seem to work for readers. In some cases, I never had a strong feeling about the original cover, so it's a wash.

But also I find myself moving away from the more romance-y style covers. Partly because the M/M readership is increasingly inclined toward traditional romance as opposed to the hybrid of Romance+Mystery/SpecFiction/Action-Adventure  it started out as. I want to cue them early that I'm not what they're looking for.

(In some case, like Murder in Pastel, I can't imagine ever changing that cover out. It's too unique and too perfect for the book to ever switch. But in most cases, everything is fair game eventually.)

Anyway, what are your thoughts on cover art? 





 




12 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of judging a book by its cover. I've scrolled by many (found out later GOOD) books due to unappealing cover art, so your words to the wise are... wise!

    However, many times the cover will draw me in, but when I stop to explore further, I'm turned off by a poorly written blurb. It's really a shame when bad covers and blurbs happen to good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth. The job of good cover art is to get the reader to look a bit further. But if the blurb and the first pages of the story are lacking, even the most beautiful cover art can't convince a reader to invest.

      Delete
  2. I like to think I'm not influenced by cover art - that that would be shallow and a terrible way to judge a book. As I look at these 3 new covers I realize that's totally false. I would like to buy them - even though I already own them lol. Wonderful covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You know, I don't even know that it is shallow because so much of it is instinctive and unconscious. We react to certain prompts, certain shapes and colors, without any clue as to why. I've been really trying to analyze my reaction to cover art, and trying to understand why I have a negative feeling toward some covers is genuinely puzzling. So often there's nothing wrong with the cover, yet it would be an automatic pass from me if I wasn't making a point to analyze my reaction to each cover. I find it so interesting!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the new covers for 'Seance on a Summer's Night' and 'Murder Between the Pages.' It's like there's an invisible hook just grabbing at you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually bought Murder in pastel in print for the cover. I always have a couple of books in my bookcase with the cover to the front, just so i can enjoy them. And that is one of my favorites. Some covers draw you in. But what Steve says is true, the blurb must be good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover for 'Murder in Pastel' is one of my all-time favorite covers too!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Steve - love these new covers! There have a depth of field that draws you right in as if I could step into the depicted scene.
    With only so much time, only so many dollars (your currency may vary) and so many choices, of course the easiest discriminator will be the cover. Guilty or not, we all do it. I hope these beautiful new covers give you that edge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new book covers. I usually avoid books with covers of the extremely fit naked male torso, unless I know and enjoy that particular author. I purchase very few paperbacks now, but one I did buy just because of the cover was 'Under the Radar' by Lillian Francis. Read the ebook first. Had to have that cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guilty as charged on passing based on covers. Because I know I do this, I do try to read the blurbs before passing judgement on the cover/blurb package. If it's an unfamiliar author, I just cross my fingers that the blurb isn't the best part. I love all the new covers, but the one for The Darkling Thrush just WOW!! It captures the atmosphere of the story perfectly (for me). Off to buy the paperback just for that cover...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll admit I am influenced by book covers, but yes the blurb and a little bit of the sample has to meet my expectations. I don't think I've ever found your book covers fitting in with the mass produced ones. Even the Monet murders, has me looking at the T-shirt first. Not that I don't mind looking at a good set of abs. Lol. I've always found your covers very thoughtful and really enjoy the new ones. Although I'll admit, sometimes I wish I could keep the old book covers. I turned off automatic update for that very reason. Lol.

    One good thing about this is I realized I am missing a title, and I'm not sure how that happened. I must promptly rectify that.

    ReplyDelete