Friday, January 6, 2023

ARE WE THERE YET?


 Okay! One week into the New Year and... Well, I'm having a little trouble ripping my way out of the holiday cocoon. How about you? 

Usually I start the year with a list of RESOLUTIONS aka GOALS. Some of which come to fruition. Some of which don't. My only real goal at the moment is to send as much of the left over cookies and candy and cupcakes, etc. as possible with the SO to his work.  

Which leads me to the first of my Resolutions:

1 - Get Healthy

I started last year with Covid. The first two months were just draw-a-line Lathrough 'em, and the rest of the year, well, I never really got up to speed. In fact, it was probably one of my most unhealthy years. Unhealthy eating, lack of exercise, just...blaaaaah. I didn't even resume my massage therapy, which right there indicates quite a level of apathy. Of indifference to my own well-being.

So there's a first goal. By this time next week, I should have contacted my therapist and made my first appointment of 2023.


2 - Write

Given the slow start to the year, last year was pretty productive. And, even better, I enjoyed everything I wrote. I felt more creative, more inspired than I have in a long time. So that was great, and if I was feeling better and more energetic, i.e., healthier, I could be more productive yet. 

I have a number of committed books, end-of-series books, but I also want to take a look at doing some fresh and fun standalone stuff. Like, I have an idea for a Christmas story for next year called The Lemon Drop Kid.


I do have a third resolution, but I think I'll keep that to myself for now. It's more about my feelings toward the world in general and my hesitation to rejoin that world, engage with that world. And I'm still working my way through. But part of working my way through it is attending conferences again and interacting more both online and in real life. I can't deny the last couple of years have been sort of disillusioning. But this is the world we have and really, most people haven't changed so much. The other stuff, the ugly stuff--grievance culture, misogyny, bias, paranoia--has always been there (and, frankly, probably always will be). 

Anyway, what about you? Do you have resolutions for this year? Goals? A game plan? HAVE YOU TAKEN DOWN YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE YET? 

9 comments:

  1. I've been walking Charlie with the WoofTrax app. You support a selected charity just by walking your dogs. I'm not exactly sure how it works, since it's a free app; apparently advertisers donate the money. Anyway, you set your own goals (we're at two miles total—pugs aren't very athletic), and knowing it's for charity just give us the extra push to get out there and walking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's great! Walking is my choice of exercise when I can't swim. I just wish we had more scenic surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't taken down my Christmas tree yet. But I was a little sidetracked this week. My 25 year old daughter (who still lives at home) had a really bad headache for 11 days. Her doctor sent her to the emergency room to test for Meningitis. 8 hours later and it turns out to be Mononucleosis (again!). So.. good news? Eh.
    If the weather is nice, I try to walk 3 miles several times a week. Otherwise, I work out at home 6 days a week. Gotta have that 'rest day'!!
    I'm looking forward to whatever you're writing this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully your daughter is now on the road to recovery! And yes, I'd take Mono over Meningitis, although staying healthy through the holidays would be ideal.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It's a little alarming, I have to admit. There are leaks in the kitchen where bits of plaster and paint are coming down from the kitchen ceiling near the large windows. And, worse, there are leaks around the large windows in the master bedroom. I'm trying to stem the tide with towels. As much as I love rain, I could do with a reprieve about now.

      Delete
  5. Guess the expression, "when it rains, it pours" is quite literal for you now. Wish you had a happy medium.
    Sadly, I did not put up a tree myself, but did help my mom with hers. I usually keep mine up until almost Easter. I just love sitting in the dark, snuggled under a fuzzy blanket, drinking hot chocolate and watching the twinkling lights. It's very relaxing. We had our family Christmas on the 27th, and I think my mom had her tree down the very next day. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My New Year's resolutions are to get my house in order and to continue to get healthier and stronger. I'm doing pretty good on the latter. I have been working out pretty consistently the last few months and have kept that going. When the gyms close during covid, I lost two of my workout partners. The lack of evening classes has one not rejoining and the other's husband retired so they work out during the day while I'm working. I had a pretty good walking partner but unfortunately I lost her to politics.

    Getting my house in order is a whole other thing. Something always seems to get in the way. A lot of times I just need a mental break and find myself reading instead. Trying to get better on that.

    ReplyDelete