Sunday, January 2, 2022

A Whole New World

 


Okay, probably not. 

But at least a world we're better prepared for. ;-) 

I've gotten a lot of worried emails and messages over the "cancellation" of The Movie-Town Murders on Amazon, so let me reassure you, the book is NOT cancelled. I'm working on it right now. Or at least, yes, it's cancelled on Amazon, but the book is still coming out! I'm aiming for the end of February.

So, if you preordered anywhere other than Amazon, your order is still right where you left it. (And you got it at a discounted price too, so good for you!) If you preordered through Amazon, you'll have to purchase the book when it goes live. That's all. 

What else is planned for 2022?

Well, let's talk about that.

I'm feeling creative and energetic and even optimistic again, which is promising. More than that. It's a huge, HUGE relief. When you make your living from your creative output, burnout isn't an inconvenience, it's a catastrophe. I've struggled with burnout before, but never like this, and yes, there were extenuating circumstances that would surely never repeat themselves, but still. I can't risk anything like last year ever happening again. 

So I'm going to try something new, and keep everything as loose and flexible as possible. As of right now everything looks good. I've tried to make sure there's plenty of room between projects. I'm not going to list any additional preorders, because I don't want another scheduling trainwreck like last year. But just because something isn't listed on Amazon, doesn't mean it's not going to happen. 

That said, I do plan on a much slower schedule this year. 

Which doesn't necessarily mean fewer projects. It means more time between projects. 

I do want to point out, though, that even with all the disasters and delays of last year, it was still my most productive year in the last five or so. I put out four novels! That's not bad. 

I just have to be more realistic about how much I can do in a year. I have to stop planning based on the best case scenario, and schedule for the worst case scenario. And, maybe even most importantly,  I have to stop thinking out loud when I'm dreaming of the books I want to write. 

Right now, I'm not looking beyond next summer. If I can get through the next six months and stay on schedule and still feel creative and energetic and optimistic, well, there are plenty of possibilities for the fall. But fewer promises mean fewer disappointments. For everyone.

So that's where we are! I hope you're also looking forward to 2022 and making plans that will help you turn your dreams into reality. The last twelve months were tough. Here's to turning the page.



Earworm free of charge. ;-) 




7 comments:

  1. So great to read that you're feeling yourself again! You should be so proud at how you soldiered on during a horrible year - not just for publishing so many novels, but for publishing novels that are as wonderful and well-written as when you are having a 'good' year! Peace be with you in 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update! Really looking forward to book 5! Here's hoping this is a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question: if our order was cancelled, might we still be able to get the new book at the original preorder price when it becomes available again? I will still buy it either way, but did wonder…. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Which is what is so STUPID about Amazon's thinking on the topic of preorders. I'm truly sorry. About two thousand preorders were placed at the discounted price. :-(

      Delete
    2. No worries! An extra 2 bucks isn’t a big deal:)

      Delete