Saturday, February 29, 2020

New Release: MURDER AT PIRATE'S COVE

A funny thing happened on the way to writing Murder at Pirate's Cove, but that's a story for another day--and maybe even a writing book. Because, yes, this was a book written *cough* a long time ago and reshaped into something quite different, even worth (IMHO) worth reading.

I have a number of manuscripts like that which came to light when the SO was emptying out our old house. I think it's a sign of trust when you let another person--even your SO--sort through your old journals, manuscripts, love letters, etc. The most embarrassing part is seeing through his eyes the items I saw fit to keep for thirty years. WHY?

I must be more sentimental than I'm willing to acknowledge, although I did give him the okay to toss whatever seemed to need tossing. Manuscripts did not, in his opinion, meet that criteria, so I have been having to relive my junior writing efforts--not to mention my junior typing efforts.

Anyway, Murder at Pirate's Cove is now launched and sailing out upon the  dark and the rolling sea. In some ways rewriting is much, much harder than writing from scratch--and in other crucial ways, it's much easier, because you already did the initial thinking. The initial thinking--even when working from an outline--is what takes so much time. (That and trying to remember what everyone's eye color is and what they all drive and whether you saw fit to give someone a food allergy).

I kept worrying about the lack of romantic content in this, but I suddenly remembered how much romantic content is in Fatal Shadows.  It's nice writing a slow, quiet building of a relationship. Frankly, I really enjoyed the lack of...drama. The lack of angst. Now, it's only the first book, so there is drama and angst ahead, but my intention is for these books to be gentle stories. I mean, yes, of course murder abounds--and a bit of heartbreak too--but the point of a cozy is all's well that end's well.

I wouldn't ONLY want to write this kind of thing, but it's nice in between the more emotionally charged works.

Secret at Skull House comes out next month--in fact, I'm starting that one today (right after we rush to Costco to stock up on supplies--assuming the shelves are not already bare).

Meantime the book is still available at its preorder price



7 comments:

  1. Well, I loved it! I like the flirty glances and lingering touches on shoulders of early romance building, too! Kudos to you for keeping your early work and SO for deeming it worth keeping. I was the editor for a m/m author who had several series going on (some of which were started years earlier) and since there were often months between the next release in each series I had to keep a file of hair and eye colors and ages and each character's relationship to others and who changed their last name and who didn't. It's tough! And yet discrepancies in books drive me nuts! Always editing, lol. Thank you for this cozy series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually paying for a series Bible this time because sometimes I'm good about keeping track of things and sometimes I just blast the story out and keep track of nothing (Adrien English is a case in point). So glad you enjoyed this!

      Delete
  2. I loved the story but I do hope future ones will fully explore the romance between Ellery and Jack. I am not bothered about explicit sex scenes but I do want them to express their feeinges in a physical way. The first Adrian English book had hardly any sex but it was gripping and the growing attraction between Adrian and Jake was very satisfying. I actually like all your books....the only complaint I have is these later ones are so short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely explore the ups and downs of their relationship--it'll be a leisurely exploration because I plan the series to run for a bit (it's my first real Kindle Unlimited experiment) but hopefully entertaining.

      I get what you're saying about length, but you know, MiPC is almost twice as long as Fatal Shadows! :-D

      Delete
    2. No way! Wow!

      Delete
  3. "...trying to remember what everyone's eye color is and what they all drive and whether you saw fit to give someone a food allergy..." Yes!!
    As a fellow m/m writer, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has these issues!! XD

    ReplyDelete