Friday, February 14, 2020

Happy Valentine's Day!

I am an inveterate reader of women's magazines--I make no apologies for that--and I notice that there are many many articles now days about how Valentine's Day has become some dreadful thing that leaves people wounded and wanting.

I think some of these wounds are self-inflicted, but okay. Back when I was single and emotionally restless, Valentine's Day was generally stressful. There were years I received gifts from multiple romantic interests (none of whom I actually loved) and there were years I felt invisible and uncherished by everyone but my family and dog (the funny thing is those years were not as stressful as the others!).

Before I met the SO I went through a period where I basically swept all emotional entanglements from my life and took a break from romance. I did a huge amount of writing during that period--in fact, a lot of the stories I started back then ended up being books I later sold (including the first two Adrien English novels, The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, and I Spy Something Bloody). Anyway, that was one of the happiest Valentine's Day of my entire existence. I didn't care that there were no lavish bouquets arriving for me at work for everyone to see. I didn't care that I wasn't going to get dressed up and go to an expensive restaurant. I rented (yes, physically walked into a video rental store--we did not have streaming in days of yore) a couple of classic film noir films I had been wanting to see, made a super nice meal for myself (it was the first time I ever cooked a lobster tail), bought a nice bottle of wine and had a quiet, relaxing and very satisfying evening on my own. I believe I may have ended the night with a third glass of wine and a bubble bath.

A couple of years later I met the SO and that was that. GOODBYE SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH. Kidding of course. But I kind of think that there was a connection between not actively wanting anyone in my life and finding the person I was going to spend a huge chunk of that same life with.

So if I was going to give advice to someone secretly fretting about the state of their Valentine's Day, it would simply be to say that there's a difference between being alone and being lonely, but if you are lonely, it's still better to be lonely on your own than lonely with the wrong person. There's nothing lonelier than that.

ALSO, love will slow you down. Not that I regret love--there's much to be said for loving and being loved--but you can get a lot more writing done when you're single. ;-)



10 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day! From your not so secret stalker. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine’s Day, Josh. The reason I love Valentine’s Day so much has little to do with who I was with at any given time, but the day itself....The hoopla around it...making Valentine boxes with my niece, making Valentine art with my grandchildren, dressing as a giant Valentine heart in my classroom and seeing all the smiles. Flowers from my husband and children are pretty wonder too. ;) Great memories. Pretty memories. Love memories. I wish everyone love memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine day to you and everybody here.
    I took a break from poor choices in romance 9 years ago and I barely start to feel a bit lonely here and there. Like you said, better to be alone than lonely with the wrong person. And I don't really care about Valentine's day as this day for me has a different meaning: it's my mom's (and the only familly I have left) birthday! :D

    So, like the other years, I will go now fetch her a huge gorgeous flower bouquet, I will be the only woman in the loooong queue at the flower shop, smile when I see some guys showing all their love with one cheap rose, laugh with the ones that buy 2 or 3 separate bouquets and have fun watching some dudes check me with the "is she a lesbian?" wondering written on their faces :P And then enjoy a nice meal with my mom ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That's great. I used to buy guys flowers sometimes, and they were almost always startled and then delighted (or very good actors). I think Valentine's Day is stressful when insecurity is involved--whether your own or someone else's. Hmm... now that I think of it, there's a story in there. ;-)

      Delete
  4. A great post, Josh. I have always needed a lot of alone time, and know the difference between being alone and being lonely. While there are times I might wish for an SO, I also remember my mother telling me: "you are never more lonely than when you are married to the wrong person." Words to live by.

    Hope you and your SO have a super Valentine weekend! Take care. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom was absolutely right. I think one of the best things about being a woman of a certain age is we've outgrown most of our insecurities and we have the ability to shake off other people's expectations. It's a lovely thing to be comfortable in your own skin.

      Delete
  5. Ah, so much wisdom there! Happy Valentine's Day to everyone - we're all worth being adored. ❤

    ReplyDelete