Saturday, August 3, 2019

She Went Along, and Went Along, and Went Along...

Remember that fairy tale and that Arthur Rackham illustration?

THAT GIRL IS ME.

And let me tell you, the frozen bare ground hurts your feet in winter. :-D

Ah, but it's summer now and the livin' is... Well, I wouldn't say easy, exactly, but the livin' is warmer and the ground is softer.

It's August, we're more than halfway through the year, and my last check-in was May. It has been a very productive year. But better still, it's been a very creative year.

There is still A LOT to come.

But, in case you missed it all, here's what's already been delivered:

Mainly by Moonlight (Witches Brew) Bedknobs and Broomsticks 1 - That just came out this last Wednesday. The next two installments will be pretty quick--October and February, I'm guessing. The plan was always for rapid release, but now I view it as more mandatory than optional. In the age of binge-consumption, this kind of part-one-of-a-three-part-story drives (some) readers crazy.

The Monuments Men (Art of Murder 4) - only one more installment to go! It's going to be very hard to end this series, so yes, I'm tempted to go for more than five books. But that really goes against my long-held conviction that five is the perfect number for a series.

Moments: Choose Your Story FATAL SHADOWS (mobile game ap)

AUDIO - Seance on a Summer's Night (narrated by Matt Haynes)

AUDIO - The Ghost Had an Early Check-out (narrated by Michael Pauley)

"Stranger in the House" (part of the Footsteps in the Dark anthology) The anthology is coming out in Audio in November (narrated by Kale Williams and Joel Leslie) I. Can't. Wait.

Slay Ride - A little bit grim for Christmas, I'll be the first to admit, so I released it early. It was originally supposed to be a short story. But I loved the characters and the time period and so it turned into a poignant little novella set at Christmas time, but NOT a Christmas story. ;-)

I know that's not a lot given the current publishing paradigm. In fact, in comparison with most of my peers' production schedules, it's not much to show. But for me? This has been a huge year. A hugely productive year. So obviously I'm really happy about that.

Also I've managed to move ahead with my plans for getting some of my audio and print backlist into wide distribution. Is it making me a lot of money? No. But were these very old titles making a lot of money sitting where they were? No. Am I discouraged? No. Am I going to continue in this direction? Yep.

Patreon.

I am so grateful to my patrons. The community is holding steady. It's not enough to live on, but it has saved my ass more than once. Mostly it's allowed me to invest in things like more audio, taking more time with projects, etc. The next serialized novel will remain exclusive to Patreon for at least six months after it's complete. So obviously, it's not going to be I Buried a Witch! ;-)

Here's what's still coming this year that will be made widely available:

AUDIO The Monuments Men (Art of Murder 4) narrated by Kale Williams - probably sometime this month?

AUDIO Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks 1) narrated by Kale Williams - probably September or October?

I Buried a Witch (All Hell Breaks Loose) Bedknobs and Broomsticks 2
That's going to be out October 31st. 

Haunted Heart: Spring - That's now scheduled for mid- November (November 22)
Yes, I switched the release date with I Buried a Witch

And then finally, Blind Side (Dangerous Ground 6) - December 31

 I'll probably list for preorders within the next couple of weeks. It's nice not having that pressure right now.

I'm also back to working on Mr. and Mrs. Murder with the SO. Or as the publisher likes to call it: Husband and Wife Sleuths of Crime and Detective Fiction. :-D

And then also I'll be at GRL in October. 


So that's pretty much it for this year's planned projects. Real life happens, so things can change, but that's how things look right now.

19 comments:

  1. I think it's been a fantastic year! A little jolted by Sam & Jason's troubles but feeling much better with the coda! I'm glad you've had even a little bit of breathing room because of Patreon sponsors. Your gifts to us far outweigh what I, personally, give back. Thank you for that. You can't know how you help escape the ugliness and stress of "real life." One question: Do I remember you said Chris Patton would be re-recording "So this is Christmas?" Kale is great, but I DID feel as though Sam was saying all those sweet nothings to Adrien!You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the coda did help. I wasn't ready to let go of them either. Not until I was sure they were okay. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Oh. Yes. Chris did record the final book, but there are problems with the files and it's going to take time and money to sort it out. :-(

      Delete
    3. Ugh. I'll bet sometimes you feel like it's one step forward, an elephant's step back. 🤞🏻

      Delete
  2. Hello! I've been reading your blog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Texas!

    Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's A LOT of titles to have already come out this year, in my personal opinion. :-D Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm super excited about what's to come, and currently enjoying Mainly By Moonlight! - Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about Xmas codas? They are coming too, right? I love those so much.

    Goge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan. God willin and my wrists hold out!

      Delete
  5. Wow! A good year for you is a fantastic year for us!just remember to take deep breaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Loretta. 😊 (Sips of tequila between the deep breaths don't hurt, either. 😁)

      Delete
  6. Oh please more Jason/Sam!!! They are my favorite. ❤️ Excited for all the upcoming releases too, especially I Buried a Witch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely more Sam and Jason to come. :-)

      Delete
  7. I know I'm late to respond to this post,but since the post mentions the possibility of putting some of your older books in print I wanted to put in a strong request for Stranger on the Shore and In a Dark Wood and The Parting Glass (together!) to be pretty pretty please be released in print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I feel compelled to take a moment to leave a comment because I just finished The Monuments Men Murders and wanted to let you know that I really enjoy the series overall. Jason especially is a great character and honestly, part of my enjoyment stems from the fact that Sam and I have the same name - first AND last. (Well, almost. Though I've been called Sam since before I was born.) I laughed out loud when I first came across this series just because that's never happened to me before.

    Anyway, I love your books. Adrien and Jake are my all-time favorite literary couple, with Kit and J.X. a close second. Jason and Sam are a strong third.

    Thank you for sharing your talents with us! The second a new one of yours is released, I drop everything and immediately purchase it.

    ReplyDelete