Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Advent Calendar Day 7

 


If you've read Hide and Seek, you know that hot buttered rum figures into the story at a crucial juncture. ;-) Hot buttered rum is one of those traditional cocktails which frequently figures in fiction--especially vintage mystery fiction--although I know very few people who've actually ever consumed one! 

Well, here's your chance to join that elite crew of inebriate intellectuals. ;-D I've heard this drink described as a "Christmas cookie in a cup," which is enough to convince me to give it a try this season.

Ingredients

For the batter (you read that right) which is best made ahead of time (seriously):


2/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly ground is best)

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract


(this should make enough for approximately four cocktails)


For Each Cocktail: 


2/3 cup hot water

2 tablespoons (1 ounce) batter (see above) or more 

2 ounces dark rum (spiced is okay but it can change the balance of flavors)

Sweetened whipped cream sprinkled with ground nutmeg (for topping)



Instructions:


Again, make the batter ahead of time! 


To make the batter: 


In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Heat, stirring frequently, until the butter is completely melted and the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.


(You can double the batch and store in the freezer if you like)


To make each cocktail:

Combine the hot water with about a quarter of the batter in a mug and then stir vigorously to combine.

Add in the rum and stir to combine. Taste, and add additional batter if you like it a bit sweeter or spicier.

Top with a large dollop of whipped cream and fresh grated nutmeg.



In order to get the full classic mystery experience, I recommend you spend the afternoon asking shrewd questions about cold case murders at the local castle, run for your life from a faceless enemy (someone disguised as a cowled monk would be ideal) across the moors, hook up with your romantic interest and drink at least one hot buttered rum each before retiring to your spooky chamber in the creepy hostel you're staying in because...the Hilton was booked? 

LET ME KNOW HOW IT ALL TURNS OUT.








Note: It turns out I offered a hot buttered rum recipe in 2021 too! But this looks like the real deal. We shall soon find out!

17 comments:

  1. I used to have a hot buttered rum at the beginning of the season. This was because that over the course of the year, I forget that I don't like rum. I came to the same conclusion with eggnog (much better since I started using brandy). I must admit, however, that I have not tried it while running for my life from a faceless enemy. Perhaps that is the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for eggnog, but the problem isn't the rum. :-D

      Delete
  2. I believe that to be the missing ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm! Just reading this recipe warms me up. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting recipe! I will try it during the Christmas holidays. So, if we all get drunk, we don't work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not very many faceless enemies lately, but I think walking down my unlit, wooded road in the dark would qualify. After all, it's always the drunk stumbling home in the dark who's the first to go. Just ask Stephen King!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tried this before but looks like it will be good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to drink Hot Buttered Rum every year when I was growing up, and I loved it! (Pretty sure I had rum-less in the early years, lol.) The recipe looks very similar from what I remember; maybe we didn't add cloves though. I also remember that we always went on the hunt for superfine sugar as the holidays approached, because it blended better. Fun memories, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little iffy on the cloves, myself. Not my favorite thing. I'll probably skip those.

      Delete
  8. I want to be an inebriated intellectual!!!!! I say every year that I'm gonna do this and by golly, I'm going to make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made hot buttered rum batter a few years back and gave it away as gifts. It's great in hot chocolate, which is honestly how most of it was consumed, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hot buttered rum! But actually never had it at the holidays! There's a pirate themed bar in SF that serves it and I've gotten there whenever the bar hasn't been uber busy. SO good! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete