Thursday, December 1, 2022

Advent Calendar Day 1

 HAPPY HOLIDAYS! 



So that was 2022. 


It could have been worse, right? Not the year I planned, but I've come to accept that the best laid plans, etc. Just as I've come to accept that life is never going back to the way it was pre-pandemic. (We'll just lump it all under that umbrella, shall we?) And while I can't deny that I occasionally lapse into IN MY DAY with my long-suffering nieces and nephews, I've still got my nieces and nephews and everyone else I care about, so that's the important bit. 


The world turns and another page in this book of life turns with it. Which is the way it's always worked, really. That is the lesson of history. The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it. 


AND CHRISTMAS COMES BUT ONCE A YEAR.


(And, yes, of course you may sub "Christmas" for the winter holiday of your choice, or no holiday at all. You do you.)

  

For the last couple of years, I've struggled with whether to do the "Advent Calendar" or not. The truth is, blogging doesn't get the engagement it once did--and Blogger is especially problematical as far as commenting on posts. But the point of the Advent Calendar isn't to get a certain number of comments or views. It's to say THANK YOU to you, my readers. The point of this calendar is simply to give you a moment or two of holiday cheer. A little bit of comfy-coziness to start your day.


In case I haven't said it enough: Thank you for buying and reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading) my books. Thank you for allowing me to earn my living doing the thing I love best. Thank you to those readers all over the world--translations in another four languages this year!--who consume my stories in languages I can't speak. Thank you to my wonderful patrons whose kindness and generosity help me through those leanish months where life gets in the way of spinning stories.


I appreciate you all very much. Full stop. Writers write for themselves, but we publish for others. I publish for YOU. I want to give you the best books I can because I want you to see the world the way I do: a place where kindness, the willingness to communicate, and the courage to love can change lives. I want you to love the way my books make you feel--ideally, kind of the way the holidays make you feel. ;-)


So what's ahead this month? As in previous years, I'll probably share a couple of favorite holiday songs or a poem or a some inspirational photos or a vintage cartoon or a cocktail recipe (or three). There will likely be codas toward the end of the month. There might be a giveaway or two. And I believe at least one of our talented and generous previous contributors will pop in with some fiction or art. 


In other words, every day will be as much of a surprise to me as to you. ;-D   


Happy Holidays, my friends. May all your days be merry and bright!


20 comments:

  1. Merry-Happy-Blessed Christmas/Hanukkah/Solstice...Whatever! So looking forward to the advent calendar. Your writing brings such a lovely spark to these grey winter days. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays! I'm looking forward to everything I'll find here. Honestly, the holidays have changed so much over the years, and so many things that I thought would never end have faded away, that the Advent calendar has become a path to regaining some of those feelings of delight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, that was me. I always hit the button early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to it, thank you for continuing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing stories that mean a lot to your readers. The advent posts are eagerly awaited starting at the beginning of autumn. 😉❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you decided to do this, I do look forward to reading this during the month. Happy Holidays to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a surprise to see this this morning!
    I haven't come up with any adventures this year, and I don't know if I will, but maybe.
    Anyway, I look forward to enjoying all that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's a lot of work, but December wouldn't be the same without the Advent Calendar! I know we all appreciate it more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I don't comment every day, I enjoy the advent calendar. I'm glad you're continuing it.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do love the Advent calendar, especially coming back to peruse throughout the year. I don't know if you get a count on how many times I've re-read your books. I imagine if you did, you'd be a bit concerned. Your characters are my solace, I guess. They keep me grounded. Thanks for being such a creative spirit. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all your wonderful stories and for the other fun and/or thoughtful experiences you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all the stories and this Advent calendar <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this Advent calendar. It's one of the high points of my holiday season. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feel the love because there is plenty of it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you decided to do this again! It's a happy place to check in during hectic holidays! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the advent

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I only found you this year, but according to Storygraph you're my most read author of the year by far. Or I guess listened, since I've listened to most of your work as audio books (over 30 novels and novellas). I bought the whole Adrien English series in print after listening though, as well as In Sunshine Or In Shadow. I ended up getting the older Christmas Coda collections for Kindle and that's why I've spent the last week listening to even more of your stories.

    I'm really happy and grateful I found your works.

    Also as I had the books in print, I highly recommended Adrien English to a friend who was visiting for the weekend. "Sure, I can borrow the first book", she said on Friday as I dropped the whole series on the coffee table. She did start the first book during her visit, and by Sunday she was packing the first three books with instructions to bring her the rest of them once I would visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A big thank you back to you! Even those of us late in the game (how did it get to be the 13th??) appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete