Monday, December 12, 2022

Advent Calendar Day 12

 


Now, I know perfectly well that the mystery part of my mysteries aren't necessarily what keeps readers enthralled with my work. That said, a lot of you, like me, DO really love the mystery elements. Like me, you were mystery readers from the time you could, well, read. And, like me, a lot of you mystery readers love CLASSIC mysteries--which means at this time of year, you have a hankering for good old classic yuletide homicide.

Because what could be cozier than murder and mayhem beneath the mistletoe? 

So here's my perhaps obscure but personally curated list of Classic Christmas Crime. ;-)




THE SANTA KLAUS MURDER by Mavis Doriel Hay (1936)

THE BLACK-HEADED PINS by Constance and Gwenyth Little (1938)

MYSTERY IN WHITE by J. Jefferson Farjeon (1938)

A CHRISTMAS PARTY - AKA ENVIOUS CASCA  by Georgett Heyer (1941)

ANOTHER LITTLE CHRISTMAS MURDER by Lorna Nicoll Morgan (1947)

MURDER FOR CHRISTMAS by Frances Duncan (1949)

MURDER TAKES THE VEIL by Margaret Ann Hubbard (1957)

(This might not actually take place at Christmas, but I read it at Christmas when I was in High School)






8 comments:

  1. I found three of these at my local library! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I've read a lot of mysteries, but none of these. I'll have to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Black-Headed Pins was the first thing I ever read by the Little Sisters. It was my introduction to screwball murder mysteries. I adore it.

      Delete
  3. Oddly, I was not a mystery reader from the beginning. I turned up my nose at my sister's Nancy Drews and read mostly SF, fantasy, horror, and "literature" through my teens. The mystery gene (I inherited from my grandmother, skipping my father's generation) didn't get activated until I was in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHEN YOU WERE SURROUNDED BY DANGER AND NEFARIOUS DOINGS!! Or maybe that was just my college. ;-D

      Delete