Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas Coda 5


 

Elliot and Tucker from FAIR GAME

 

 

The stuffing in the sweet potato roulade was made with parmesan and cheddar cheese, crushed garlic, nut bread crumbs, sage and parsley. The moussaka was made with portobello mushrooms and seitan. There were Provencal stuffed tomatoes, buttermilk biscuits, and ginger-brandy cheesecake for dessert.  There was a lot of food. A lot of wonderful food.

What there was not, was a turkey.

But there was plenty to drink, and Elliot kept Tucker’s glass topped up – and his own.

Tucker was dealing manfully with the absence of turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes at Christmas dinner. But then Tucker had a turkey all prepped and ready to go into the oven when they got home to Goose Island that night.

Roland, who had also had his share of alcoholic beverages, was saying, “When you look at it that way, when you consider how much money is spent on stuff that people don’t want and don’t need, it makes sense to skip buying presents and just donate to the person’s charity of choice.”

Tucker drawled, “What charity were you thinking of donating to on my behalf?”

Roland stroked his beard thoughtfully. “Hmmm. I guess the NRA doesn’t really qualify as a charity, does it?”

Elliot laughed and popped a stuffed olive in his mouth. His two favorite people in the world and they couldn’t be more unlike each other.

Tucker glanced across the table. His blue eyes gleamed in his tanned, freckled face. He gave Elliot a slow, deliberate wink.

 

 

43 comments:

  1. Yummy! And thank you for letting us meet Roland also. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Roland ended up with as many fans as Elliot! ;-)

      Delete
    2. LOL. I don't doubt that. Roland definitely has star quality. :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! That was super cute, and totally in keeping with what I would have expected from all three of these characters! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that was sweet. So glad Tucker met Roland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. Why do I always read your stories when I'm hungry? I should know better...

    You are my favorite author "cook"! Your descriptions of food: mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, these tiny stories are like the mental equivalent of downing a shot of some super-strong, ancient whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful as usual, Josh. Your ability to write 'food' scenes into your stories never disappoints. The visuals are amazing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, this was wonderful! Tucker is such a sweetheart and Elliot has my dream job (teaching at a small liberal arts college in the Pacific Northwest). I am so happy you brought them back for these Christmas stories.
    Now I am hungry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I couldn't skip over Elliot and Tucker. So glad you enjoyed them. ;-)

      Delete
  8. I don't why exactly I'm salivating. Is it the food, or is it the image of Tucker winking? hmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roland v Tucker is as interesting as Lisa v Jake! I like the sound of the sweet potato roulade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Oh wow. Roland vs Lisa! Now THAT would be a match. :-D

      Delete
  10. A great big :-D is all I got right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just reread Fair Game not too long ago. I think Tucker and Elliot might be my second favorite of the Lanyon boys. I loved it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Niiice. So domesticated of Elliot and Tucker. And those Yummy food got me hungry... ;D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Man. That is some damn fancy vegetarian grub. Do these delicacies exist in Chez Lanyon? :~D
    Nice that Roland and Tucker get along well enough to dine together--and that Tucker has the "make up for the meatless meal" turkey ready to go at home.
    Really enjoying these codas--didn't expect one over the weekend!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much of the vegetarian in this household, although more so than there used to be. ;-D

      Delete
    2. Happy that the meatless meal wasn't tofurkey For these boys. :~D
      Off to fix a spot of dinner.

      Delete
  14. *lol* That was fun! Poor Tucker is suffering without a turkey. I love how he thought ahead and is all prepared with the turkey at home. And that there acutally is a 'home' for the two of them. Glad to hear that they made it and moved in together. :)
    To see Elliot so happy about his two favorite people in one place makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the easy going pragmatism of Tucker. ;-)

      Delete
  15. I just love these vignettes. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In Portugal we eat salted Cod fish or octopus on Christmas eve :) All that food sounde wonderful and I'm with Roland. I wouldn't need the turkey at all.

    ReplyDelete