Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Coda 4


Ford and Jacob from HEART TROUBLE

 

 

 

It was a little white house on a quiet residential street.

Nothing to strike fear into a man’s heart.

Christmas lights were strung along the roof and through the neatly pruned trees, a large wreath with red ribbons and pine cones hung on the front door, solar candy cane lights lined the cement walk.

Bad things did not happen in houses that looked like that. I knew because I had grown up in a house like that. In fact, I should be walking into a house like that right now. My parent’s house in Cotati where my sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents would all be sitting down to Christmas dinner any minute. 

But instead I was sitting in my car outside a strange house. A house that belonged to the parents of my…boyfriend.

The boyfriend my parents and all the rest of my family didn’t know about because I hadn’t told them. And because I hadn’t told them, instead of going to home to spend Christmas with my own family, I was spending it with Jacob’s.

No. That wasn’t fair. I was having Christmas dinner with Jacob’s family because I wanted to spend Christmas with Jacob. And because it would be hard to do that at the home of my parents until I came out. So…Jacob’s family.

“We’d trade off anyway, right?” Jacob had been his usual kind, supportive self, finding excuses for me when he should have told me to grow a pair. “Next year we’ll go to your parents.”

Right.

A red VW pulled up and parked in front of the Hoyle house, and Rob, Jacob’s brother, got out and went around to open the passenger door for a dark-haired girl in a white rabbit fur coat. That would be Karin, Rob’s new girlfriend. Her family was back east, so this was her first Christmas with the Hoyles too.

I watched Rob and Karin walk up the candy cane lined walk. Karin was carrying a bottle of Blue Nun. I glanced at the bottle of Blue Nun on the seat beside me. They knocked on the front door, the door opened, and Jacob greeted them with a big, warm smile.

Just that little glimpse of him made my heart do a happy, little handspring.

It was worth it. Worth anything because if I didn’t love Jacob, I was closer to it than I'd ever been in my life.

I watched him lean out the doorway and glance up and down the street before ducking back and closing the door.

I wondered why I was sitting in my car working myself into an anxiety attack when I could be saying hello to Jacob right now.

I could be kissing Jacob hello.

I got out of my car.

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

33 comments:

  1. Awww - I bet they had a good Christmas after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob seems to be the perfect person and incentive to help Ford to come out to his parents.... Maybe quicker than next Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. It made me reread Heart Trouble and that was wonderful too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each one of these has me saying "awww that's my favorite." I don't know if it's just that I'm so hungry for anything new from you, or my fickle heart. But thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You're my favorite. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thanks so much, Josh, for these wonderful glimses into our favorite characters during the holidays, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, I wouldn't mind a Jacob of m'own... Ford is sooo lucky! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet, Josh. Thank you. Again, I was startled when I realized it had ended. Had already gotten completely pulled in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all very much!

    Susan, as I was writing this one it suddenly occurred to me that it was the start of a short story. So next year we might see the rest of what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm really glad to hear that. 2013 sounds like it's shaping up to be a good year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! I'm feeling pretty good about it. ;-)

      Delete
  10. you're killing me with these!!! and I'm enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :-) Whether it's a full length novel or these codas Josh, you always leave me wanting more.....and yet I'm perfectly content with how they end. Happy sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! A new short. I think you said this was one reason for doing this? Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! It was great to read more about Ford and Jacob — Heart Trouble is truly a gem. And you made me laugh out loud with the Blue Nun lines... :)

    I also love the picture you'd found to fit this coda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming up with the pictures is part of the fun. ;-)

      Delete
  14. I'm loving the codas. What an excellent idea!

    Thank you so much for writing them and for having the idea!

    Ciao

    Antonella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I hope everyone doesn't get bored with them before the end.

      Delete
  15. These codas always leave me wanting more :)
    Glad to her this could be just a beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. I had to stop myself from turnign it into an actual short story. There just isn't time for that this year.

      Delete
  16. Love it, but kind of a cliffhanger, Josh. I hope you do go with a short story--it'd be nice to sit down to dinner and see what happens here!
    BTW, love Blue Nun. :~D
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they still make Blue Nun? I remembered how at that age that was the wine I took everywhere. :-)

      Delete
    2. Your comment got me curious. Soo...
      http://www.bluenunwines.com/
      ::fist pump:: Next time at the liquor store, I intend to search it out.

      Delete
    3. Oh neat. I don't know what I'll think of it now that I have a grown up palate, but I'm going to give it a try too!

      Delete
    4. I may have a Peter Pan palate--not sure it ever grew up...

      Delete
    5. :-D

      I dunno. I have a sudden hankering for Blue Nunn myself!

      Delete
  17. What a great incentive to get out of the car... you might get to kiss the one you love. *sigh* :)

    ReplyDelete