Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Advent Calendar Day 1


Happy Holidays!





What. A. Year. 

I have no idea where 2021 went. It started out well enough, but kind of unraveled midway through, and that was that. Wherever those 336 days went, they're gone forever, and all we can do now is make the most of the thirty-one sunrises and sunsets remaining. 

(Actually, we already had today's sunrise, so that's thirty sunrises, and...yeah. It's the quality, not the quantity, right?)

I went back and forth on whether to do the Advent Calendar this year. I'm certainly feeling better than I did a few months ago, but I'm still writing so flipping slowly, so I can't promise that there'll be any codas this year (my focus has to be on finishing these final long-promised books). However, I can still do my part to start you off each day with a little bit of Christmas cheer. It's such a busy, hectic, and (too-often) stressful time of year, it's great to take a few moments each day just to...take a breath. 

That's the point of this calendar, really, to give you a moment or two of Happy Holidays! To say Thank You

Thank you for buying and reading (and re-reading and re-re-reading) my books. Thank you to those readers all over the world who consume my stories in languages I can't speak! Thank you even-sort-of to those of you who are so impatient for the new stories, you get a little, er, cranky sometimes.

Seriously, I appreciate you all very much. Writers write for themselves, but we publish for others. I publish for you. I want to give you the best books I can because I want you to love the books. I want you to love the way the books make you feel--ideally, kind of the way the holidays make you feel. ;-)

(Er, I mean the good holiday feelings, not the way you feel when your parcels are misdelivered or the liquor store runs out of cake-flavored vodka.) 

So what's ahead this month? As in previous years, I'll probably share a couple of favorite holiday songs or a poem or a some inspirational photos or a vintage cartoon or a cocktail recipe (or three). There will likely be giveaways. And maybe one of our talented and generous previous contributors will pop in with some fiction or art? I honestly don't know. I think we'll just take it one day at a time.  

This morning I want to share a YouTube video that my friend David Warner shared with me. It's tender and crazy and altogether lovely.  I hope you enjoy it. It's called When Harry Met Santa. ;-) 






 

22 comments:

  1. Yes we watched that YouTube video from Norway, really heart-warming and typically Scandi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So where does all that Nordic noir come from? That's what I want to know! :-D

      Delete
  2. So happy to see this post today.
    My mother passed away yesterday, and after three months of being her sole caregiver, I am very tired and could use a bit of comfort and joy.
    I really wanted to do a Mr. Pinkerton story, but as you said, things kinda unraveled.
    I am looking forward to a bit of daily brightness from this Advent Calendar.
    Thank you,
    Haldis

    ps. Aren't Norwegians the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Haldis, I'm so sorry. What a rotten start to the holidays. You certainly deserve some comfort and joy. I'll do my best. <3

      Delete
    2. I'm so sorry Haldis! You're in my heart.

      Delete
    3. So sorry Haldis. My mother also passed in early November so I really empathize with what you're feeling.

      Delete
    4. I'm so excited! This will be my first JL Advent Calendar! (I've been reading your works for a year now...where did the time go?!) Can't wait to see what goodies are ahead. Thank you, Josh! <3 I hope you have a lovely December.

      Delete
  3. Happy holidays! Take time for you, SO, family and puppies. That's the important shit. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful little video. That was a much needed smile...and I want to give you and Haldis a few of these... (((hugs))) because I think we all need some right now.
    Thank you, Josh, for doing this, for keeping the tradition going. It's good to have a little bit of cheer to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww! I had not seen that one. It is beautiful. It made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haldis, I'm very sorry about your mom. Caregiving is so difficult - but such a gift to the one receiving it. Bless you. May comfort and joy abound ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, Josh!

    I'm really glad you decided to do Advent Calendar. I always look forward to these ^_^
    The commercial made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been in a position to join your wonderful AC until today (the 14th) so I'm going to check every entry now ;)
    And thank you for doing it despite the overall sh***y situation.

    ReplyDelete