Thursday, December 19, 2019

Advent Calendar - Day 19

I am really, really, REALLY hoping I don't get sick for the holidays. The SO is now fully flu-ish (DIDN'T WE JUST GO THROUGH THIS TWO MONTHS AGO??) and my tonsils are sore (I think it's more fear and imagination than actual germs in my case).

Anyway, today we have a poem from one of my absolute favorite poets, Sara Teasdale. Teasdale's work is romantic and emotional and not exactly what one would call timely--except that some things never change. Things that by now should have changed. Things that we should perhaps think about occasionally--especially during this season--when so much of our online time is spent, credit card in hand.


A Winter Night
Sara Teasdale

My window-pane is starred with frost,
The world is bitter cold to-night,
The moon is cruel, and the wind
Is like a two-edged sword to smite.

God pity all the homeless ones,
The beggars pacing to and fro.
God pity all the poor to-night
Who walk the lamp-lit streets of snow.

My room is like a bit of June,
Warm and close-curtained fold on fold,
But somewhere, like a homeless child,
My heart is crying in the cold.





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Josh. The imagery is exquisite. Sara is definitely one of the best. Thank you for posting this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I should look his poet up- so bittersweet, and so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not one I've heard. Poignant. Often when I go out at night when it's freezing and then return to my warm house, I pray that God will protect the people who don't have shelter (or safety). It's a beautifully written take on a sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful with heartbreaking emotion. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    And vitamin C! Lots of vitamin C!

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really hope you don't get sick. Germs and viruses should be illegal during the holidays!

    ReplyDelete