Thursday, November 26, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving!

 It's been such a very weird year. The kind of year where it you really have to concentrate on all there is to be grateful for in the midst of all there is to be worried about. But one of the advantages of focusing on gratitude is it helps with anxiety and depression. 

So here are five things I'm grateful for this Thanksgiving Day. I invite you to share your own five things in the comments below. 

FIVE THINGS I'M GRATEFUL FOR RIGHT THIS MINUTE

1 - Food and shelter (the basics, yes, but so many do not have these basics, so I am truly grateful that I do not have to worry about food and shelter. In fact, the only danger is that I take these things for granted. I don't ever want to take these things for granted.)

2 - That my depression, anxiety, creative ennui (?!) has lifted and I am eager to get back to work--and excited about the stories left to tell. 

3 - That everyone I love is still alive. Friends and family I most care about are so far still safe. Watching the terrifying numbers on the news each night, that is no small thing. I am deeply, deeply grateful for the health and safety of everyone I love. That includes those of you showing up today to read this post--I am very grateful that you're here and you're hanging in there. 

3a - Also the promise of a vaccine on the horizon. I'm very grateful for that.

4 - Chocolate. In fact, a veritable stockpile of chocolate. Some people panic over toilet paper. My fear was we would not have chocolate when we needed it most. ;-)

5 - The Marlowe and Spenser Comedy Hour--which turns out to run 24 hours a day. Our little four-footed kooks have provided cuddles and kisses and many, many laughs during some stressful hours. Also their need for routine has kept us on schedule.

Whatever you have to be grateful for, I hope the coming days are brimming over with it.



6 comments:

  1. 1. Like you, I am incredibly grateful that all my loved ones are alive and well.

    2. I am working so I am getting paid and can therefore pay my bills.

    3. My cats, Dobie and Maynard, and my dog, Bandit, who keep me laughing and make me get up and dressed everyday.

    4. Many authors, including you, Josh, who keep my mind occupied and take me away for awhile.

    5. The potential for the vaccines and also for a government structure willing to work to end the virus.



    3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 <3 <3 Yes, yes, and yes. Also that SCOTUS is not striking down ACA in the midst of the pandemic. That's huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I know exactly what you mean about depression and creativity fog lifting. 💜

    1. That i have a job AND it's one i can do from home.
    2. So far my family is all healthy.
    3. So very grateful my mood, whatever the f THAT was, seems to be leveling out and i am coming back to myself.
    4. I have found new friends during this time, even if they are virtual.
    5. I am so grateful we are going to be starting a new year with HOPE and that the vaccines work. 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the internet has proven a blessing. Imagine if we were going through all this without zoom, without netflix, without Facebook or Goodreads or Twitter or one-click ordering from Amazon. GULP.

      Delete
  4. Hello!! I’m from Italy so we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but I love the spirit and the message behind the celebration.

    1. My parents Who fought and won against the Covid.
    2. The end of my unhappy relationship.
    3. So grateful that I keep my job
    4. My beautiful resilient country. Never been so grateful to be surrounded by so much beauty and heartful people.
    5. The books that I have discovered this years, including yours, who gave me the chance to dream and keep my mind safe during this infinite quarantine.

    L.
    Send love and hand sanitezer to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your parents won their fight! <3

      And also glad that you've cleared away the relationships that aren't good for you, which makes room for those that are good.

      Thank you for your very kind words. :-)

      Delete