Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

Author Aisling Mancy was kind enough to tag me in the Next Big Thing blog hop. This amounts to me answering ten questions about whatever my next "big thing" is and then I tag five hapless victims other authors who perpetuate the blog hop to infinity and beyond.

Basically it's a way of finding out a little something about what your favorite authors are up to while being introduced to authors who might be new to you. You don't have to do anything and no one is giving anything away, so no pressure.

 1. What is the working title of your book?

Blood Red Butterfly

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

I have a number of titles that were picked up for translation by the Japanese publisher Shinkoshan, and I thought it would be fun to write something that maybe supported that effort -- but also that gave me a chance to try something new. Something fun and challenging at the same time.

3. What is the genre of the book?

I'm calling it a "yaoi-hybrid." It's a crime story but despite machine guns and gangs and bludgeoned  old ladies, it's not what you would call a SERIOUS crime story. Most Japanese manga has a surreal feel to me, so that's what I'm trying to capture--without getting too far out there.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I'm really hoping Astro Boy is available. My people are talking to his people.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Despite falling in love with manga artist Kai Tashiro, Homicide Detective Ryo Miller is determined to break the alibi Kai is supplying his murderous boyfriend--even if it means breaking Kai with it.

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency/publisher?

This one will come out through my Just Joshin imprint.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Still working on it. It'll probably take about two weeks. It's not a terribly complicated story.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Well, I know a number of m/m authors are experimenting with yaoi and shouen-ai, but I'm sorry to say I'm  so far unfamiliar with them. I am (reasonably) familiar with yaoi classics like Fake, Bronze, Kizuna, etc. Although I don't think my work really compares.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I'm always looking for a new angle, a new approach. Something fun for readers and fun for me too.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Um...it's going to have a really nice cover?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My tagged victims are Harper Fox, Kari Gregg, Joanna Chambers, LC Chase, and Josephine Myles. Don't forget to check out their wonderful work!

16 comments:

  1. What a nice way to find out what everyone is doing. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's quick and fun -- and about the current length of my attention span. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. From urban dictionary: Western, gay male anime and manga fans then appropriated the word to contrast with yaoi. Both are homoerotic anime-style art; the difference is while yaoi is gay-male art produced by women for the consumption of women, bara is created by men, for men. Consequently, bara-style art tends toward more exaggerated, overtly masculine physiques and stereotypically masculine behavior.

      Delete
    2. Ah. Gotcha. No. I'm writing for an m/m audience and that is primarily female (whether it is politically correct to say so or not).

      Delete
    3. Too many labels huh? Do you know if your male readers who know you through the Adrien English mysteries read your recent work?

      Delete
    4. Oh yes. Some of them will only read mystery novels though, and some will only read print, but mostly everybody reads pretty much everything -- the exception is fantasy. A percentage of my readers, male and female, are just not open to fantasy.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to a new novel =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this one is a novella, but still! Yes. Something with a little more length!

      Delete
  5. Do you have plan to do a anime version of the story at some point? I've only read a few early days Yaoi anime in the 90s in Japanese, there were never enough "story" in them for me to become a fan. It would be very interesting to see your mystery in such genre, see if your magic works there as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say never! But no, no plans at this time. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this little tease Josh. I was OK with knowing it was coming but now it's soon and I'm too excited to wait. Can you have it released tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Only if you don't mind it being totally unreadable!

      Delete
  7. Squealing and bouncing ups and down excitedly. I love all your books and I love reading Yaoi. A Lanyon-Yaoi hybrid story??? THIS I so gotta read! :D

    ReplyDelete