Sunday, April 30, 2023

Do Not Pass Go and Do Not Collect $200

 


You know you're going through something when you wake up in the morning worrying about whether the pine tree outside your window has too many pine cones on it.

So April was one of those months not particularly conducive to writing. Easter, graduation party, birthday party, allergies, TAXES (UGH), sick doggie, on and on and on with the interruptions and distractions. All of them inevitable and normal and reasonable. Well, maybe not the sick doggie. That's been a saga and poor Mr. Marlowe is at the emergency room right now because I had a panic attack last night listening to him struggle to breathe. Nobody seems to think this is an emergency except me. 

NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATHE PROPERLY IS AN EMERGENCY.

IMHO.

Anyway. Hopefully, I'm overreacting and he would have been fine going another FIVE FLIPPING DAYS without seeing a vet (which is the soonest we could have got him in if we hadn't gone the emergency route). But that would have been a total of TWENTY FREAKING DAYS OF HIS BEING SICK AND NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATHE NORMALLY. There is literally ONE animal emergency center out here. ONE. 

There's a serious shortage of vets. It's so worrying. I never ran into this until these last few years, and it's hard to get used to. Some things you can do yourself. But when it comes to trying to diagnose my dog while he's having what looks like an asthma attack... Not so much.

(The SO just texted me that there is one vet and three dogs with rattlesnake bites!!)

However, sharing my freakout over my poor little dog and our local vet shortage wasn't my intention for this post. Basically, I wanted to give an official update. Not that it will stop all the emails, but maybe it will forestall a few. 

I can't honestly say that this year isn't what I expected, because I've learned that now days none of the years are what I expect. The good news is I've stopped being optimistic about what I can accomplish in any given amount of time. This year I've got to juggle gigs and guests and conferences and books. 

Which I feel calm about until I see my preorders listed on Amazon.

Which is why YOU only see one preorder for me listed on Amazon.

That's correct. I've canceled everything except Corpse at Captain's Seat, which I'm planning to have out at the end of this month (May).

That said, although the preorders are gone, I'm still planning on doing The 12.2 Per-Cent Solution in
August and Hex in the City in December. And I'll be finishing up Puzzle for Two for Patreon probably in June.  

Preorders are great. They give me a big chunk of change all at once and they allow me to offer you discounted preorder prices, but they've become incredibly stressful and I'm just not going to do them anymore--well, unless the book is basically finished. I think that makes life easier for everyone. 

It's not just that I'm more creative when I'm not stressed. I'm also happier. And healthier. 

That will also allow me to focus on more audio projects and more translation projects. And think about what I want to be when I grow up. Ha. But seriously, think about what I want these next five years to look like as far as writing and publishing. 


With Corpse at Captain's Seat, we'll be at number 8 in the Secrets and Scrabble series. I'm not ending the series, but I'm probably going to take a bit of a break from it and do a couple of standalone projects. I do love standalones. Next year will likely be the final Art of Murder book: The Medicine Man Murders. That's going to be a big, complicated book, so I need to give myself plenty of breathing room. And I'll likely try to get in the fifth Bedknobs and Broomsticks installment Impractical Magic.  

And that's it. I have nothing else planned. Well, no other projects planned. I want to give myself creative space. Every year for the past decade has had a built-in schedule of projects, which is not a bad thing, but I'm longing for blank canvas. Metaphorically speaking. And so I'm giving myself the gift of an empty publishing calendar. 

Obviously, books will be written--that's how I pay for $600. (and counting, gulp!!) vet bills--but I'm not sure of all the whats and I'm definitely not sure of the whens. Just that books will happen. Writing will happen. Creativity will happen. And hopefully a lot of other cool stuff will happen!

All good things. That's the plan. ;-)

31 comments:

  1. The plan of "an empty publishing calendar sounds" like a good idea! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty excited about it. The ideas are already bubbling to the surface. :-D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally commented earlier as anonymous - sorry! Anyway, I hope your dog is doing better. We have a lot of vets where I live, which I know isn't the case in a lot of areas; the town I moved to a few years ago is within 15 minutes of probably close to half a dozen - it's odd. (I'm in S. Jersey though, we have a lot of a lot. A lot of people).
    I'm in the midst of a binge of Secrets & Scrabble - about to start #4 audio tomorrow & just purchased #5 to be ready. Is there going to be an audio coming soon for #6. No pressure, just happy binging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I feared, bronchial infection complicated by a damaged trachea (which he's had since we rescued him as a puppy). He's home now and on a whole array of meds.

      Good news on the audio front though. Matt has completed recording Lament at Loon Landing, so it's just going through the editing stage now. And Kale finished recording 44.1644 North, and that's already in quality control at ACX. :-)

      Delete
    2. That's awesome! Made my day seeing that. (And glad doggy is on the mend.)

      Delete
  4. I’m really looking forward to Corpse at Captain's Seat! I’ll patiently wait for the rest.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a delicate balance of ax murders and charades. :-D

      Delete
  5. Poor Marlowe! And yes, breathing is kinda important for continued life.... IMHO. Hope he's feeling better.... And yeah, you can't even walk in the door at our local emergency clinic without leaving a $500 deposit. Thank goodness I have "connections".
    As for other stuff, as much as I want new stories, quality over quantity. And I just read your reply to a comment about Kale doing 44.1644! Yay!
    Hang in there, and keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the one hand I'm gratified that the SO came home properly chastened for thinking I was making too much of a fuss. On the other hand, I'm appalled I didn't make more a fuss earlier because we probably could have kept this from turning into such a big deal if we'd make an appointment three weeks ago when I first began to worry.

      Delete
  6. Happy to hear Mr. Marlowe is on the road to recovery. Your fans are with you whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! He's definitely perked up after a full day of meds.

      Delete
  7. I’m glad Mr. Marlowe was diagnosed, & is recovering. I’m really looking forward to the Medicine Man Murders book; whenever it appears! I think your New World Order is the way to go. Less stressful. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less stress for me, less stress for readers. ;-)

      Delete
  8. If I failed to make as many deadlines as you I would be fired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing all the best for your poor pup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Two full days of meds seem to be making a big difference.

      Delete
  10. I see you are making excuses…again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. So, first off, it's an update and I'm letting my readers know what's going on in my life. You can call them "excuses," if you like. Although I'm not sure why I need an excuse to change the way I write and publish? But that's fine.

      What isn't fine, Anonymous Person on the Internet, is your peculiar obsession with me and my work schedule. Seriously. Do you not have anything else going on in your life besides my book releases? Yeesh. Did you hurry home after work to see if I'd bothered to respond to your last unkind message? Do you get all energized and twitterpated when someone engages after you leave one of your (so you hope) hurtful or insulting comments?

      I'm not kidding. You don't upset me. I really *am* sorry for you.

      Delete
  11. Hi Josh. Delighted to hear the news about the Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the final Murder books. Take your time, too much pressure is bad for all of us! You need to enjoy life as well as write books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Liz! True. What's the advantage of being self-employed if you aren't at least able to enjoy your life? ;-)

      Delete
  12. Hope doggo is feeling better, very stressful when a member of the family is ill. Scary how there is a shortage of doctors (took me years to find a good internal med. doc) & vets. Looking forward to the new releases, can't wait to see what trouble Kit gets JX into!!! Please do not say "Next year will likely" be the final Art of Murder book: The Medicine Man Murders. I love love love Jason & Sam and refuse to have the series end. just no.
    rdafan7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be easy to let go of them. There's something about those two, that pairing. I'd have to say that Sam and Jason are the characters I most think about between books.

      Delete
    2. I don't read an art world article that I don't consider what Jason would think and what he'd say to Sam, and what Sam would say to him... :-D :-D :-D

      Delete
  13. oh yess, please give Jason and Sam a great enclosure <3
    I'll always waiting for your release, greeting for Indonesia..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely! I want to take time and care with that final adventure. And hello to you in Indonesia!

      Delete
  14. Marriage in Captain Seat?

    Will the audiobook be released at the same time for Murder at Captain Seat?

    I took will miss Jason and Sam in Art of Murder series, but I understand. Don't get burned out. We'll be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I suppose Captain's Seat could be a possible wedding site. I bet they've had weddings there through the years. Now you've got me thinking...

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m glad your pup is on the mend. If people complain about you needing a break, they need to get over it. It’s not like you’re the only author out there. Although I am patiently waiting for Corpse at Captain’s Seat. There are other authors out there so they have other things to read. TJ Klune, Alice Winters and Pandora Pine are three of my favorites besides you. Take time for yourself and your pup and do what you need to do so you don’t burnout. I want you writing for a long time to come because I love your stories. Thank you for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete