Friday, April 1, 2022

As the World Turns

 


It's been warm enough to swim for most of the last two weeks! 

And, if the weatherman is to be believed, it will be warm enough to swim for most of the NEXT two weeks. Usually, we don't get these long stretches of warm weather until we hit May, so that's both the good news and the bad news. Good news for me. Probably not so good for the planet. It's major drought time in California.

But we're all gonna die anyway, so oh well.

(I try not to say that around the Office Elf as it doesn't inspire her to do her best work.) ;-D 

So it's been a crazy-ass distracted start to the year, no lie--and also no signs of that letting up anytime soon either as we're once again trying to refinance the house. Also I'm going through getting our rental property up to snuff. This is time-consuming and nerve-frazzling stuff that I've been putting off for years, and now it has to be dealt with. 

But about the books. 

Hide and Seek is coming along beautifully--that 500 words a day thing is really paying off in a chapter a week.

The Movie-Town Murders is also coming along, but it's a more complicated story and, as I said, there have been a LOT of interruptions. Also a LOT of rewriting. I know I'm overthinking it, but at the same time, I have to be happy with it. Hopefully, hopefully, HOPEFULLYFORTHELOVEOFGOD I'll be finishing up by the end of this month. 

I've got (I think) half the book, but despite my detailed outline, I'm not writing in linear fashion, so it's more like...well, picture the parts of a clock--gears, springs, tiny cuckoo bird--scattered across a work desk. The bits and pieces are all there, but not in working order. Not yet. 

But it's coming. And I really love where Sam and Jason's relationship is at. 

BUT CAN IT LAST? 

Who knows. 

Anyway, after The Movie-Town Murders, I jump right into the next two Secrets and Scrabble books, and then...I don't know. I don't have anything else officially scheduled. There are plenty of things I want to write--I really, really want to finish the Holmes & Moriarity series this year--but given how insanely slow things are going right now, I'm afraid to commit to anything. To be honest, this year's goals weren't about books and writing so much as getting my house in order. My literal house but also my metaphorical house. 

So that's where we are. I'm working, I'm writing, the books are happening, but I've resigned myself to the fact that this year someone or something is going to be knocking at my office door every half-hour. I'm trying to be patient and good-humored about it. Four months in, I can safely say this is not the year I planned, but what else is new? 



11 comments:

  1. No complaints here! You remain amazing! Even without a refi or rental re-do, there is plenty of Life to distract us all. I'm very impressed with how steadily you're progressing and excited for end results whenever we get then. 😊 Getting "Hide and Seek" is fun and the promise of "Movietown" and 2 more Jack ans Ellery goodies is 🎉🎉 Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a WEIRD year. But even though it doesn't look productive at this stage, it actually is. It's just seeming to happen counterclockwise. ;-D

      Delete
    2. It's HAPPENING and that's what matters!

      Delete
  2. Kind of bummed movie town is being pushed back so much yet again. Which also means the 6th and final is also gonna take even longer especially with the other books your working on coming before it. But we'll just have to keep being patient and waiting so we can finally see our boys happy and their story conclude. Big sad but still one of my fave series so we'll continue to wait

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating, I know. For me as well. I'm just writing SO slowly and there are so many interruptions right now. I'm hoping it won't be too much longer.

      Delete
  3. Holmes and Moriarity is my favourite series by you so far. I love how serious and grumpy Moriarity can be; I think of him like a loveable old housecat who sometimes scratches, but you can't live without. <3. Also, the synopsis for Hide and Seek looks very interesting and dark which I like. I'm a little put off by audiobooks, I like to make the tone and atmosphere in my head, but I'll try it. :D can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it'll probably be in print after all, because in order to list it on Audible, it's got to be in some form on Amazon. I love audio but it's not for everyone. I used to listen a lot when I had long drives. I think it makes great background for tedious tasks, and I love falling asleep to audio books, but I don't sit down to listen to a book. If I have time to read, I'll be doing the reading. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Just take your time Josh, we will wait for you. I do have a suggestion that may not take up too much of your time & may generate some income. The best part of the collectors edition of Fatal Shadows were all the extra bits, interviews, codas, especially the chapters/stories from Jake's POV...I think you should release these extras as an E book and I think it would sell. I would buy anything at all from Jake's POV to be honest and I'm sure there are others like me. Anyway looking forward to the final instalment of Sam & Jason's story whenever it may be published

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do something like that eventually. There's definitely an audience for it. I didn't anticipate there being so many geographic restrictions on the print books, so that's been a frustration for everyone.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really,Really looking forward to MTM. I am rereading the Holmes & Moriarity series now and can't wait to visit those guys again also, along with more S&S.
    The rental property sounds interesting....my Dad had some at one point. Can be alot of work & hopefully you get the right tenants. - Rdafan7

    ReplyDelete