Monday, April 29, 2019

New Release - SLAY RIDE

I'd forgotten how time consuming and expensive historical fiction is to write! $20.00 on 1940s road maps. $75.00 on Esquire magazines from the 1940s. Documentary rentals, 1940s movies, books on Montana (which I had never written about before), on and on it goes.

But that time and research is probably one reason I lose myself in the writing of historical fiction in a way I rarely do writing contemporary.

Sadly, historical just doesn't sell like contemporary.  A thousand preorders at Amazon is just kind of...disheartening, frankly, but I know the readers who wanted this book waited very patiently and for a long time, and I'm so glad I was finally able to deliver it! It turned out surprisingly well, I think--quite romantic in a tragic historical happenings and violent Christmas kind of way. :-D

If you preordered through Amazon, make sure you have enabled AUTOMATIC UPDATES because I did go back and tweak the original ms. I mean, it's complete and all, but I started thinking it could be a little more emotionally satisfying and I added a couple thousand words. ;-)

And if you ordered through Smashwords, the book isn't out until the 5th, so if you can't wait, just drop me an email with your order number on it and I'll send you a copy.

Anyway, that's the news!

A wild and dangerous ride takes two lonely men into uncharted territory…


1943 Montana. Returning home to Montana after being wounded in the Pacific, Police Chief Robert Garrett was hoping for a little much needed Peace on Earth and Goodwill Toward Man. Instead, he finds himself chasing after a cold-blooded killer on Christmas Day, aided—whether he likes it or not—by eager young reporter Jamie Jameson. 


 Jamie has idolized Police Chief Garrett most of his life. Despite a stolen birthday kiss seven years earlier, he knows his feelings are unreturned. Even if Rob felt the same, there’s no room in their world for such feelings between men. But while Jamie can accept Robert not sharing his feelings, he won’t put up with being treated like a troublesome kid brother. He too has a job to do, and he intends on traveling this bloody and twisted road with Robert Garrett—no matter where it leads.



Available thru:









17 comments:

  1. I wish I could order it now, but I'll wait for this story to be released in paperback (alone or in an anthology, like a "What's left of kisses, part 2" ;) )
    I can hardly wait but I just can't read a story on a screen :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one of these days! And it might make it into audio. Not sure yet.

      Delete
  2. Starting this tonight. Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I was a bit nervous because basing things on real life incidents can be kind of tricky. Inhibiting. But apparently not this time! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Will it be available as a pdf through smashwords? I'm super keen to buy, but prefer not to use Amazon if I have the option and epub is a pain <3 (if not, I'm gonna buy it anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not through Smashwords, no. However, I do create a PDF for my Patreon group, so if you want to email me your Smashwords order number, I can go ahead and mail you a PDF.

      Delete
  4. Since I don't like automatic updates at Amazon, because sometimes they change cover art. Is there another way to get those few thousand words? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. Just drop me a reminder through FB or an email.

      Delete
  5. Quick question: is there a way to tell if turning on updates at Amazon worked and/or I have the latest version (i.e., the number of locations or something)? I've been trying to figure out how to ensure it's been done on Amazon's end, but having an end result to verify against would be appreciated....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a better way, but the only thing I can think of is you don't have the updated version if your version is missing this sentence: . He understood now what Jamie had meant about reading the Greeks. Stupid heartless plays where no one learned their lesson until it was too late and everyone was dead.

      Delete
  6. I'm loving it so far. I am sorry to hear that historical don't sell like contemporary, and I also wonder why - I LOVE historical (apart from the 70s, probably)! Moreover, if I like an author, I will read, and buy, anything written by them. You are my automatic buy, Josh: I don't even read the blurb! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a smaller audience according to all the data, but it's also possible that the time periods I choose to write about are not as popular as some. It could be my readers just prefer my contemporary? I love historical too--they are definitely labors of love.

      Delete
    2. LOL And thank you for the kind words! :-)

      Delete
  7. I keep accidentally hitting "sign out" instead of "publish," after I type my comment. Doh! So, one more attempt... I loved it! Historical fiction makes the romance so much sweeter because the sweethearts have to take such careful steps to get there. Especially men, who would face pretty dire consequences if they are found out. I'm all for longing looks and stolen glances! 💜 Beautifully done! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you so much for reading! I agree the happy endings feel all the sweeter in these stories.

      Delete
  8. When I initially commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time
    a comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same
    comment. There has to be a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get one of those email messages, click the link that says:
      Unsubscribe from comment emails for this blog.

      I don't have access to your subscription. :-)

      Delete