Saturday, October 17, 2015

And so on and so forth

Today's post is a day late because yesterday the SO and I did something we haven't done since January. We took the day off in order to have lunch and go to a movie.

The movie was Sicario and it was an entertaining way to spend a couple of hours. I always like Emily Blunt. Lunch was okay. I am increasingly bored by chain restaurant food. I don't miss the lesson afforded by it, however, and that is that in a world full of tired, harried people, opting for the tried and true--even if the tried and true is mediocre--is frequently the best, or at least the usual, choice. This is just as true in publishing as elsewhere, which is why "discoverability" is such a challenge for writers. And why they spend so much time talking about writing rather than actually writing.

This has turned out to be a very strange year. Granted, the only real unexpected turn of events was buying a new house. Everything else was planned out last year--and went pretty much according to plan. But buying a new house...I had no idea how time consuming and complicated that would be. We're still not completely moved out of the old house, and I am increasingly nervous about the items that were left behind. Like all my Christmas stuff. All the vintage Christmas ornaments handed down through my family...that stuff worries me. The other stuff...well, I can't say I'd rejoice at losing several years worth of tax papers, but it wouldn't break my heart the way losing those 1950s mica Christmas angels would.

Once upon a time a couple of novels and two short stories would have been considered a productive year. Now days...not so much--despite the distractions of moving house, two trips to Catalina, the uproar resulting from connecting my real identity to my pen name, and a trip to Scotland. That's a pretty big year with almost no "down" time.

The one creative casualty was my story intended for an anthology to benefit the Trevor project. Unfortunately I ran about a month behind on Jefferson Blythe, which meant that I was packing for Scotland and dealing with emails from readers when I should have been writing my story for charity. Now, I can--and will--donate the cash the story would have earned to the Trevor Project. That's not an issue. But I wanted to write that story--and I hate not fulfilling my commitments. I'm sorry to disappoint those of you who were looking forward to my contribution, but the anthology is still going to be terrific. Please support the effort of these wonderfully generous and talented authors and others! I'll keep you posted on the release date details.

I'm reluctant to commit to anything for next year.  Which is to say I've already committed to a huge and complicated non-fiction project and beyond that...there are two novels contracted to Carina Press: Murder Takes the High Road (Scottish tour bus who-dunnit) and Fair Chance (3rd and final story in the All's Fair trilogy). I know what I would like to do--and that's a number of tightly written mystery novellas in the vein of the things I wrote early on--but we'll kind of have to wait and see.

As for what is still coming this year...

Well, the release of Jefferson Blythe, Esquire (as an ebook and in audio). That's November 16th.

Several audio books including Winter Kill, Murder in Pastel, Dark Horse White Knight, Baby, it's Cold,  and the M/M Mystery and Suspense Box Set are still to come.

I'm contributing an essay on James Colton (Joseph Hansen)  to Curt Evans for his untitled but upcoming book on LGBT mystery to be published by McFarland Press next year.

jbe-inspired artwork for coloring book
There are a number of Italian and French translations in the works for a 2015 release. Lone Star in Italian. The Dark Tide in Japanese. A Dangerous Thing in French. The Darkling Thrush in Italian...  I'm sure I'm forgetting other titles!

 There will be a Josh Lanyon coloring book called Love is a Many Colored Thing, illustrations by Johanna Ollilia. If you love coloring books for grown ups, there's a good chance you'll enjoy the art and excerpts in this one.

There will possibly, probably, be a Christmas story, but again, I'm leery of making promises.

And there will most likely be a number of Holiday Codas.

And that's all I want to commit to just at the moment. It seems like a lot to me, but compared to other years...well, the only less productive year I've had from a writing standpoint would have to be the year I took off. My sabbatical year. ;-)  But it's been a really good year. A really satisfying and productive year from a personal standpoint. A year of growth and change--a year that gives me a lot to write about. And that is always a good thing.










42 comments:

  1. Everything about this post makes me happy. And you know we will always wait for you! Authors are people, sometimes life comes before the writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's a lesson I learned the hard way a while back. :-) If only because you have to have something to write about.

      Delete
  2. Excellent news, especially about the audio books. I listen to them while quilting, and yes, I should be writing... Sooo, will they be available across the Audible platforms? I ask, because I have discovered that some of my favourite authors are only available on the US Audible site.

    Also, I am Very glad the outing kerfuffle has died down, and your writing is continuing as normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris!

      Yes, the titles should all be available on audible.uk as well. I think all of mine have ultimately ended up available there?

      As for the kefuffle, well, the kerflufflers were diligent and painstaking in their efforts to keep the excitement blazing bright, but let's face it. If Anne Perry's readers can overlook homicide, mine can probably forgive the use of a pen name.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I can't take credit because it was Johanna's brilliant idea, but...yes! Oh yes! It's wonderful. :-)

      Delete
    2. Heh, Josh. In fact I think you SHOULD take credit because I'm not sure at all that it was my idea (seriously, I think it was yours! LOL.). I'm just an enthusiastic co-adventurer. A VERY enthusiastic one. :-)

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to this coloring book. Johanna, your art is beautiful. :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you so much, Christine! I hope you guys will enjoy the coloring book as much as we've enjoyed making it. :-D

      Delete
  4. A Josh Lanyon coloring book?!?!?!

    O M G

    *faints*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always exciting to see what you have on the "drawing board" for us. My question, though, concerns "Slay Ride." I have been intrigued by that one ever since seeing Catherine's glorious cover. Any idea when the short story will appear to go with it? Thanks, Josh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, Slay Ride is the potential Christmas story for this year.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait for the third book in the All's Fair trilogy. Both the first books were brilliant. :)

    A question about another book I'm waiting (im)patiently for: The Mermaid Murders is listed on Smashwords with release date 1-st January 2016. Is it still coming on that date or should we expect it later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllllll, I may push it back a couple of weeks, but it's still planned for January 2016. Once I list it on Amazon, the date is set in stone. ;-) But until that point, there's a tiny bit of wiggle room.

      Delete
  7. The Coloring book! The italian translations!and all the new book!I can't wait,thank youuuu! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many projects accomplished, so many wonderful things to look forward to! I'm especially excited about your "huge, complicated non-fiction project" and also very interested in reading your essay on James Colton/Joseph Hansen.

    All your plans sound so promising — these adventures you're taking us. It's good to be a Fanyon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a year that is not without its accomplishments. :-D Not the year I anticipated, but then again, I thought buying a house would take about a month. :-D ;-D :-D

      I plan to keep things simple next year and just focus on the writing.

      Delete
  9. " It seems like a lot to me..." It seems a lot to me as well, Thankfully, I get to benefit from your more than over active muse. :D Please remember to take care of yourself, though. While I'm more than a little excited for the new projects, (Coloring book? Fair Chance? Slay Ride? Yes!) I also want you to locate your Christmas ornaments! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karan! Yes, I am going to retrieve those ornaments this week. For sure.

      Delete
  10. I am looking forward to read all your stories. I am very intrigued about the non-fiction project! And I will color the coloring book :-D ( I will show you my result)
    I am happy to hear more about Elliot and Tucker next year and get a Scottish tour bus who-dunnit to read, not to speak about all the wonderful audiobooks and an essay. I am very excited, but I think it is a lot of work, so I hope you have planned the one or other vacation too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have vacation time coming in February and it's going to be worth the wait. :-) But first I have to earn it--and that means staying focused for a couple of months more.

      Delete
  11. Feeling spoiled here looking forward to so many things. Audio pre-orders are made. I think I'll go to my local bookstore tomorrow and buy a set of colored pencils and an interim coloring book to practice...

    Oh, and I'm with Sabine — prioritize moving those ornaments! Otherwise, it will be one of those knowing back-burnered things that distracts from everything else. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Now THAT would be a nice giveaway idea! Crayons and colored pencils. I like it...

      Delete
  12. Otherwise, it will be one of those (knowing?) back-burnered things… etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gnaw·ing


      /ˈnôiNG/


      adjective

      adjective: gnawing



      gnaw·ing
      /ˈnôiNG/
      adjective
      persistently worrying or distressing.
      "that gnawing pain in her stomach"

      Delete
    2. I'm hoping it will be more niggling than gnawing.

      Actually, I'm hoping I just get the ornaments and I can forget all about worrying. :-D

      Delete
  13. Doesn't matter so much when the books come ... just that they do. As a reader, that's all I can ask or hope for. As a writer, I understand setting limits and knowing what you can and can't do. Here's to a wonderful 2016 for you my friend in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You don't know how happy I am everytime there's something of yours translated in italian....:) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's important to hear, because it's difficult to know sometimes if the translated works are worth the effort. I just don't hear that much from non English-speaking readers. So thank you!

      Delete
  15. Squeeee.....(sorry, it just came out) ... lol A coloring book? I too am stoked about this, along with everything else. (I know a sweet spot right on my bookshelf next to "Write your own Damn Story" that it will look perfect on) hehe. Grab some drinks and relax Josh! You are a busy lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really fun project, so I totally get the SQUEEE! ;-)

      Delete
  16. My post didn't take last time, so a quick repeat to say Thanks for sharing the photos...Scotland is very beautiful....I'v been once and would love to go back.
    The coloring book is going to be fun, & I love Tucker and Elliott, as usual can't wait for the stories! Truth be told, I would prefer a new JL book each month, but I suppose you need a life too :)
    RDAFAN7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you! Thanks so much for the kind comments.

      Those weeks went so fast and we barely scratched the surface of Scotland. I would love to go back--hope to go back--many times.

      Delete
  17. Hi,josh
    I'm your Japanese fan!
    I read 'the dark tide' in english ver.!
    Because I cannot wait for the day japanese publishing ver(it'll Dec...) anymore!I absolutely adore your stories.you killed and wrenched my mind at all.
    I love illustrator Kusama Sakae,too. (Kusama's manga'Yagisan yubinn' Arihara is suite for Adorien,i think....)

    Adorien English Series are inducted into the Renta!(one of japanese e-book)
    Hall of Fame now

    Loving All's Fair series,too! I got Kindle finally for these stories!!*grin

    Thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nobara! How nice of you to write. Thank you for your lovely comments. :-)

      Delete
  18. Totally sympathize about the move - we also moved over the summer, and it still don't have all my stuff out of the old house. I really need to get it cleaned out and on the market so we can get rid of it!

    I'm pretty excited about the upcoming new things (especially Fair
    Chance) but I also keep hoping/wishing you might revisit some old friends (i.e. Taylor and Will - really want to know what's going on there!). I do love the holiday codas - it's nice to get a glimpse of the ones I know you're not going back to.

    Hope 2016 is smoother than parts of 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mandy. Me too! ;-D

      It's sort of dismaying how little writing I got done this year. And next year is probably not going to be much more productive as far as writing fiction.

      I too would really like to get back to some of the stories and characters I've had on hold for so long now. Will and Taylor, for sure. The sequel to Snowball in Hell, etc.

      The years are just flying past!

      Delete