Friday, August 22, 2014

Boy With the Painful Tattoo SNEAK PEEK

Writing fiction is a strange and mysterious thing -- even to those of us who earn our living from it. With non-fiction there are always facts. Facts are your starting point. They are your flimsy raft in the dark and rolling seas. In the mountains of Peru... X.  Or I did not like this book because... X. The non-fiction writer grabs onto X and rides out the tide.

The fiction writer has no such life preserver. It begins with a blank page. BLANK. Nothing. And from this nothingness we must somehow create believable characters living out a story readers -- a goodly number -- care about.

You have to be a writer of fiction to truly understand how very difficult this is. In fact, there are times it seems impossible. (Which is why, when some dumbass says, Oh, you got Street X in town X wrong we should all be thankful writers do not have lightning bolts at their disposal. REALLY? Street X in town X was the focus of the fucking -- er, darned -- book for you???!!!)

But I digress.

I am especially conscious of both the delicacy and sheer power of this creative act -- the ability to write fiction -- as I work on The Boy With the Painful Tattoo. Because however long you stall, however much you prepare, ultimately it comes down to you and a blank page.

You search for the first line. What will it be? How does this journey begin?


“Come with me, Kit,” J.X. urged.
 
That's how this particular journey begins, but no two journeys are the same.

So today, as you may have gathered, I am sharing a snippet of The Boy With the Painful Tattoo. The release date is October 5th, and ready or not, that's what's happening. The truth is, I am never ready to write anything. How can you prepare for that terrifying blankness when you let go and let yourself fall?

It doesn't work like that. Oh, I prepare, yes. I research, I study, I do my prep. Ultimately the writer has to let go and trust to whatever it is that makes stories happen. The subconscious? No, writing is definitely a conscious and fully informed process. And yet it is also being spirited away by the momentum of the story. Letting the story unfold, letting the characters speak -- and act.

Anyway, because this particular story begins with -- Whaaaaa???? -- sex, we must skip ahead for our excerpt.

 
I heard it then too. A businesslike rapping on the picture windows a few feet from us. A female voice yoo-hooing.

“Yoo-hoo! YOO-HOO!”

Knock. Knock. Knock.

The knocking was coming from one of the large bay windows along the side of the house. I could see a small person of indeterminate sex dressed in baggy clothes and one of those broad, straw coolie hats some elderly folks -- and outright eccentrics -- use for gardening. At first glance it appeared that one of the garden gnomes from next door had come to life. And had something to say about it.

Mid-scramble for our clothes, J.X. and I exchanged horrified glances. He looked so stricken that I started to laugh, even as I dragged my jeans on.

“Who the hell is that?” J.X. protested again, which struck me as still funnier.

“Welcome Wagon?”

“No way.” He said doubtfully, “You think?”

“Well…no.” I climbed awkwardly -- it’s not easy to go from pleasurable arousal to alarmed action in thirty seconds flat -- over one of the many crates marked books. I half tripped over a rolled Persian carpet, clattered into a set of fireplace rack and accessories, and finally stumbled over to the window seat. I struggled with the catch on the window and managed to raise the sash a foot or so.

The spring morning scents of honeysuckle and freshly mown grass wafted in.

“Good morning!” the gnome greeted me. She had one of those fluting, high voices that brought to mind Sunday school teachers and curators at the most macabre exhibits at the Tower of London. A voice like an ice pick through your left eye socket. “Welcome to the neighborhood. So sorry to disturb you on your first morning, but the movers must have broken one of the sprinkler heads along your front walk.”

“Oh. Uh…okay.”

As I seemed to be missing the point, she said kindly, “Water is shooting up like a geyser out there.”

She was probably in her sixties, but unlike my former mentor Anna Hitchcock, no effort here had been made to stave off the ravages of time. Not that she looked ravaged. Beneath the wide brim of her hat I could just make out twinkling blue eyes in a round and rosy face.

“Hell,” I said. “Okay. Thanks for letting us know.” Not twenty-four hours in the new place and it was already falling down around our ears. I hate to say I told you so --well, no. Actually, I kind of like to say I told you so. I couldn’t wait to tell J.X. I told you so!

She offered a small but capable hand. “Emmaline Bloodworth. I’m on your left.”

 Proof of my distraction, I actually glanced to my left. “You are? Are you?”

“I live in the house to your left.” She was still offering a doll-sized hand, and I leaned down to take it. She shook hands firmly.

“Christopher Holmes.” I released her, started to retreat, but by then J.X. was behind me so I backed my ass firmly into his crotch, which pretty much illustrated the current state of affairs in #321 Chestnut Lane.

“Ooof,” J.X. steadied us both with his hands on my hips.

The most alarming part was my body’s instinctive reaction to the feel of his still-partial erection through both his jeans and my own. That level of awareness, of desire, of -- oh God -- of need was not normal, not natural. Not for me.

“Hello there,” Emmaline greeted him. “We keep missing each other, but I’ve seen you coming and going this past week.”

More going than coming. I didn’t say that, obviously.

J.X. joined me in the open window and shook hands with Emmaline. “J.X. Moriarity. Kit and I are --”

“We’ve got a broken sprinkler,” I interrupted.

“I heard. I’ll take a look.”

“No. You’ve got a plane to catch. I’ll deal with it. But before I turn off the water, were you going to take a shower?”

J.X. looked over his shoulder for a clock that was not there. He felt around his jeans pockets for his phone. Also not there.

Emmaline checked her wristwatch. “It’s nine forty-five.”

J.X. sucked in a breath. “I guess I’m not showering. Good thing it’s a short flight.”

“I can show you where to turn off the water,” Emmaline told me.

“Thanks. I’ll meet you out front.”

J.X. caught my arm as I moved away from the open window. “What if I throw some things in a bag for you? It’s just for the weekend. We can deal with this crap when we get back.”

“Now you’re talking crazy,” I scoffed. “If anything, this should indicate why we can’t both take off in the middle of moving in together.” I was smiling because he had to know I was right. I now had an excellent, irrefutable reason for not going with him. I pushed him toward the doorway and the curving, walnut staircase beyond. “Don’t miss that plane.”

He didn’t like it, but he didn’t have a choice. The clock was ticking. Somewhere. In a box we couldn’t find.

J.X. pounded up the stairs and I veered left and went out the carved walnut and glass double doors to the Corinthian porch.

The beauty of the front yard caught me by surprise. I’d been too tired to notice more than shadows and shapes when I’d arrived late the night before. Red brick walkways and short walls -- not counting the twelve foot vine-covered structure dividing our property from the house on the right -- coiled their way through low hedges and sculptured ornamental trees. The weathered stone and elegant greenery created a lush and pristine setting for the Victorian-Italianate house, set discreetly back from the street.

A nice neighborhood to have bad habits in, as Chandler would have said.

Emmaline unlatched the ornate iron gate and came through. “The main water shutoff valve is in the right over here, by the little cherry tree.”

“Hell. Heck. I don’t have a wat--” I broke off as she held up a long, steel valve control key. “Oh. Great.”

“This way. Come along, Christopher.” She bustled away down the brick path. I obediently followed in her wake. A butterfly swooped languidly past my nose, as though hired by the homeowner association to add ambiance. Did we have a homeowner association? I didn’t know. J.X. had pretty much been the driving force behind all this.

We found the water main, I pried the metal lid up, and Emmaline handed me the key like a good scrub nurse delivering the scalpel to the surgeon. I turned the meter valve counterclockwise. “I’ll pick up a couple of replacement sprinkler heads this morning.” 

“It’s going to be nice having young people in the neighborhood again,” Emmaline said as I finished turning off the water.

At forty, I didn’t exactly think of myself as “young people,” but everything is relative I guess. I handed Emmaline the valve key back, and replaced the metal plate. I wiped my hands on my jeans and stood up.

Emmaline was filling me in on the other residents of Chestnut Lane. The Tunnys -- “twin brothers and old codgers,” according to our neighbor lady -- lived to the right of us behind that formidable wall. Codgers they might be, but the wall almost certainly predated them. The Salvatierras lived across the street to the left of the walk-down parking lot. The house to their left was currently empty but not for sale. The house to the right of the parking level was owned by Mr. Lemon. Mr. Lemon was a retired history professor.

“Ah,” I said. I knew I should probably be paying closer attention to the Who’s Who. These people were going to be my neighbors for the next however long I -- we -- lived here, but somehow I felt more like a house-sitter than a new homeowner. 

“Now don’t hesitate to call on me, if you need anything,” Emmaline said. “I hope you’ll be very happy here.”

I bade her adieu and headed for the black front steps of the stately porch. Sunlight gilded the sage-green balustrade and pillars, tipped the leaves of the hedges and flowering vines in gold. Honeysuckle grew in profusion everywhere, the sweet scent perfuming the warm morning.

Emmaline called something I couldn’t make out. I smiled, waved, and went through my new front doors.

Strangely, the house smelled both new and empty. Strangely because the place had been built in 1904 and was currently stacked to its skylight in boxes and two households’ worth of furnishings. From upstairs, I could hear footsteps walking back and forth. I listened for a moment then crossed the dark hardwood floor of the foyer and poked my head in the living room.

 This was a large room painted a satiny, cheerful yellow with creamy decorative crown molding and corner pieces. The marble fireplace, one of four, was original to the house, as were the intricate etched glass and brass chandeliers. The house had lots of these beautiful little touches, from the tall pocket doors to the hand painted tiles in the bath and kitchen. And for three million dollars, there ought to be some beautiful little touches. I studied the stacks of boxes and furniture that had yet to be assigned their place in the new world order. I stared at the mattress before the fireplace. It was a mess of blankets and sheets. The blankets and blue and white sheets were J.X.’s. The mattress was mine. It was destined for the guest room upstairs. We had agreed -- or rather, I had agreed to J.X.’s suggestion that we start off fresh with a new bed and new mattress. They were supposed to be delivered that afternoon -- another reason why someone had to stay here.  We couldn’t both go gallivanting off to parts unknown.

Or even parts known.

I found my way to the kitchen--remodeled but still retaining vintage charm with the black and white parquet floors, beadboard cabinets, and hand painted ceramic tile backsplash. I saw that J.X. had found and plugged in his coffee maker. I made coffee and idly opened a few boxes, looked inside, and let the flaps fall closed again. Between the two of us there was a hell of a lot of junk here. And somehow when viewed inside a cardboard box, all my worldly possessions did look like junk.

More heavy footsteps overhead. What the hell was he doing up there? Pacing the floor?

I went over to the fridge -- J.X.’s was newer and bigger (some things never changed) so mine had been relegated to the basement -- and I wasn’t sure if I was relieved or not to see he hadn’t had time to do much more than pick up a carton of milk and a container of eggs.

He’d ordered Chinese takeout the night before, but I’d arrived too late and too tired for food. I was hungry now, but there wasn’t time to fix something before J.X. left, and somehow it seemed rude to start cooking breakfast he couldn’t eat.

How long before I stopped second-guessing my every impulse? Before I stopped feeling like a guest? Before I stopped --

No. Don’t go there.

I wasn’t regretting anything.

Anyway, it was too soon to know if I had anything to regret.

J.X. pounded down the staircase and breezed into the kitchen. He wore jeans and one of his ubiquitous white tailored shirts. Spotting the percolating coffee, he fell upon it like the wolf upon the fold. Or the wolf upon the barista. “Thank. God.” He found his mug in the sink, turned on the taps to rinse it, and of course there was a choking sound from the faucet which spit out a trickle of water. 

“Here.” I unwrapped a mug from the half-unpacked box on the counter and handed it across.

“Thanks.” He poured in coffee, and glanced at me. “It doesn’t feel right leaving you to deal with all this.”

“It’s not a problem. I’m looking forward to exploring everything on m--”

“On your own?” he asked wryly.

I laughed. “It would be more fun with you.”

“It’s just a couple of days. I’ll be home Monday night.”

The phone rang forestalling my reply.

“Well, something works anyway,” J.X. said as I went to answer it.

“You want me to drive you to the airport?”

He shook his head. “I’ll take my car.”

I picked the phone up. “Hello?”

“Christopher,” came the not-so-dulcet, semi-British tones of my agent, Rachel. “You made it!”

“Don’t sound so surprised.”

“I didn’t think you’d go through with it.”

“Ha.” I winked at J.X.  I’m not really much of a winker, so it had the reverse intended effect of making him pay closer attention. He sipped his coffee, watching me over the rim of the earthenware mug.

“Have you changed your mind about the conference?”

“What in our previous acquaintanceship would lead you to believe I’d change my mind about that?”

“The fact that you’re speaking to me from San Francisco.”

“Aside from that.”

“Christopher, your career is in a delicately balanced position right now.”

I couldn’t hide my weariness. It leaked out in a long sigh. “When is it not?”

“You can’t afford to go off the grid again. We have to talk, really talk about your future, and it makes sense to do it at the conference.”

“Probably not. Since I won’t be there.”

She made an exasperated sound. I get that a lot from the women in my life. Not that there are a lot of women in my life.

“This is no time for a midlife crisis.”

“I agree. That was so last year.”

“Christopher! I’ve had an idea…” she burbled on, but half my attention was on J.X. who set his coffee cup in the sink and came over to me.

He said quietly, “Honey, I’ve got to go.”

I nodded politely, which was not the right response, as I could tell from the way his brows drew together. He leaned in, and I leaned in, and somehow the phone was in the way -- where did all that cord come from? -- our mouths latched on -- mostly. It was a fleeting kiss, tasting of coffee and toothpaste on his end, and coffee and exasperation on mine.

“I’ll call you when I get to the hotel,” he whispered.

“…dragon tattoo,” Rachel said.

“I am not getting a tattoo,” I said. “I’m still paying for that damn wardrobe you made me buy.” I nodded enthusiastically to J.X. so he could see I was listening to him.

“Have you heard a word I said?” Rachel demanded.

“I love you,” J.X. said.

“I heard you,” I said shortly.

Rachel’s silence and J.X.’s expression seemed equally taken aback.

“Love you too,” I said hastily to J.X.  

He smiled uncertainly. My smile was equally doubtful.

“Christopher?” Rachel inquired. “Are you still there? Christopher?”

“I’m here,” I said automatically, as J.X. raised his hand in a final farewell and disappeared into the hall.

A few moments later, and from what felt like a long way away, I heard the front door close. This was followed by the distinct sound of a key turning in the lock.

So much for milestones and relationship markers. Love you too.

Love. You. Too.

Somehow I had intended the first time I managed to say the words to J.X. to be a little more… meaningful.

 


You can preorder from this page. And I hope you will do so.

54 comments:

  1. Can't wait!!! Long time til October ... boo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you for this... big chunk rather than a snippet. Plus for the other thoughts and information, although you could have left tout the fact that the book starts with sex. But I suppose it is an intentional provocation ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it does begin mid-scene which I thought might prove confusing. ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's funny how blank pages are both terrifying and full of potential...but then it must be pretty amazing to see one's thoughts take shape and make people happy.
    Awesome sneak peek :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is that very blankness that makes writing such an addictive sport. You never know what will happen.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love Kit and J.X. Since my birthday is just a couple of days before, I'm going to make this my present to myself! Can't wait!! Did I say how much I love Kit and J.X.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord I can't wait to spend more time with these two! They are hysterically funny. Thank you for the teaser. I love spoilers.
    P.S. I also love when you say the F word. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly laugh a lot writing them. That could be incipient insanity of course.

      Delete
  6. Hi Josh,

    Wow, this is a huge snippet. Thanks. Just when I was getting comfortable...where's the rest of the story? :) You know you are making everyone crazy with these sneek peaks, right? Now I remember why I am not supposed to read them.

    Glad I had just finished my morning coffee, because it would have gone all over my computer when I got to the "fridge" remark! Too, too funny!

    You may always start with a blank page, but there is no one who knows how to fill that emptiness like you. October cannot come soon enough.

    Thanks again, Josh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. W O N D E R F U L !

    I absolutely loved this and I'm grinning like a fool. It's brilliant! Thank you so much, Josh. You made my day, my weekend and my next 43 days. (That isn't a whole lot of time, now is it?!)

    And to think that those pages have been scary blank at first and how your skill and your JOY of writing comes across so clearly in this sneak peek. Just lovely. So many wonderful, delicious details that made me smile and laugh. Thank you again, dear.

    Oh, and right about now I would be winking at you, but I'm not much of a winker either... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I swallowed the wrong way when I read the "43 days" comment. :-D

      YIKES!

      Delete
  8. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for facing down that blank page! I am already in love....and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having so much fun with these two. In between the bouts of terror.

      Delete
  9. Oh My God!!!! How I miss my guys!!!! Why is the release October? Couldn't it be today? ;;)
    I loooooved the excerpt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sitting here talking back to Kit and making various noises as I read this... It's OK, the dog already knows I'm whacky. Love these two Josh, and am so thankful that you take on the blank page and make such magic happen. Time after time. :-)

    Um, about that first line. I know my mind went right to sex, so I'm glad you validated my degenerate state. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      I'm not sure I've ever started a book with sex before.

      LOL

      Delete
  11. Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! *squee*

    (That man will drive me crazy, though.^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's his job. He drives everyone crazy. Including his creator.

      Delete
  12. Just tell yourself that the people complaining about street x can probably also tell you where to find the restrooms on the Starship Enterprise.
    Any who...that blank page. Yes I do find it amazing what you manage to put there, but more so the complete uniqueness and believability of the characters. They are not just different incarnations from a previous book. Kit is so human I alternately want to slap him and give him a hug, which is incredible in itself because I don't hug.
    But I digress.
    The bottom line is I cannot wait for this book so I am hoping for more of a "ready" than not. Thank you for filling that page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot help but here "Eleanor Rigby" when I read those comments. :-)

      Delete
    2. OMG that is one of my favorite songs. I am now happily singing to myself...about lonely people?

      Delete
  13. Holy hell , the first couple of sentences mad e me chuckle. I love the sense of humor your books weave in , with likeable characters. these were the first sleuth books I ever read of yours. aside from fatal shadows, I have never been able to guess the perp. I really enjoy mysteries where im constantly trying to put together the clues/hints.
    The fact that I look forward to these characters you create like long lost friends, is awesome too. Thanks for the escape and journey your tales bring.
    Im gonna pre-order on Amazon [ cuz im a kindle user , forgiveness heh] Aishen Brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I try to give readers lots of options. You should buy where it makes best sense for you.

      Delete
  14. No one can tap those gensu keys like you can, Mr. Lanyon. You write witty repartee like no one else could. Great snippet. Man, alot of great M/M writers are coming out with new titles in October. So looking forward to yours and I appreciate that the price is within my budget. I also look forward to it coming out in paperback. Double the fun. 8-) Cover is totally awsome. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh oh! Who else dares to have an October release??!!

      Kidding. Yes, the fall should be brilliant for readers -- myself included!

      Delete
  15. Thank you for this delicious appetizer, Josh. I've just realised how ravenous I am for more JX and Kit (sorry for the food metaphors... I've just got up and have not had any breakfast yet). I can't wait to get my teeth... sorry, hands on the book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm having a lot of fun writing it. Of course it is a totally insane story. But that's part of the fun.

      Delete
  16. Thank you Josh. You have the magic.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the lovely long excerpt - going to make that 6 weekish wait feel even longer now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how short six weeks feels on this side of the fence. :-)

      Delete
  18. Thanks so much for the snippet - love these guys :) Really looking forward to the book! (^O^)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Christopher and JX! Love all your boys! Still hoping that JX and/or Christopher will stop by that quaint Pasadena bookstore called "Cloak and Dagger" for a book signing. Rachel, do your job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Still hoping that JX and/or Christopher will stop by that quaint Pasadena bookstore called "Cloak and Dagger" for a book signing. "

    There's mentioning of that in "Stranger Things Have Happened". ;-)

    So happy to find this snippet (and the other one previously) after returning from a month-long trip. Too bad it's not ready for pre-order on Amazon. Guess I'll buy it in October as a b-day gift to me then. Thank you for the treat/tease, Josh. Can't wait to read the rest!

    Savanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to have it up about mid-month on Amazon. I want to make sure Amazon readers have a chance at the preorder price.

      Delete
  21. My dear Mr. Lanyon. I am one of those dumbasses who has pointed out a geographic err...oh, I mean, oversight, in a review of one of your novellas. I'm just cool (read: anal) like that. I'm glad that my ranting has not deterred you from writing further literary delights. As long as you keep your mitts off my beloved Texas Hill Country, you have my blessing. :-)

    I am looking forward to Boy... in October!

    Emme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There, there. I know it's much easier to worry about the left turns in a little romance novel than the hard right turns your beloved state is making politically. ;-)

      Delete
  22. Thank you, Josh. Reading this made my day. It's absolutely wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kit, Kit, Kit...he is SO his own worst enemy. I adore him though, and part of the fun is seeing the trouble he makes for himself, and how he applies himself to get out of it. JX has the patience of a Saint!
    Love your comment about readers who obsess about the most trivial of details....I really take pity on authors sometimes...
    Just reread my PB of ASW (I even forgot about Anna's fate!) and am geeked for more Kit & JX!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.X. IS a saint.

      And what could be harder than living with a saint? :-D

      Delete
  24. I am a multitasker-- I can be just as aggrieved over inaccuracies in my fiction (I am a M/M fiction editor AND a former reference librarian) as I am about the idiots that drive Texas politics (and believe me, there are many of us in Texas who feel as you do about the rising 'red' tide). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All kidding aside, all my Texas info came from my Texas readers and Texas blogs. I'm going to assume your beef it's the same old question of "y'all."

      And here's the bottom line:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%27all

      Second-person singular usage[edit]

      There is long-standing disagreement about whether y’all can have primarily singular reference. While y’all is generally held in some of the Southern United States to be usable only as the plural form of "you", a scant but vocal minority (for example, Eric Hyman,[4]) argues that the term can be used in the singular as well.


      http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/k/kinkyfried146074.html


      http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2009


      Jan Tillery and Guy Bailey, "Yall in Oklahoma", American Speech 73(3) 1998;

      In spite of the large body of writing on yall, we know very little about the form. For example, we know almost nothing about its social and spatial distribution (i.e., about precisely who uses the form and exactly where it is used) and very little about its origins or even its precise meaning. This paradox is largely a consequence of the peculiar research strategy that underlies a great deal of the literature on yall. Rather than basing their conclusions on surveys of usage or ethnographic studies or even attestations in literary dialect, most of those who have written on yall rely on what is best termed the personal testimony of true believers. Especially in response to skeptics who cite apparent singular uses of you-all or yall that they may have overheard by chance, true believers simply give their personal testimony that these forms never occur as singulars in the South. They often do so with zeal, as in Axley's assertion that, in a lifetime of observation, he had "never heard any person of any degree of education or station in life use the expression you all as a singular" (1927, 343). Even Atwood (1962), in an otherwise excellent dialect survey, relies on the strategy of personal testimony. Although he surveyed the use of yall as a plural in Texas and Oklahoma, Atwood did not investigate its possible occurrence as a singular; he merely asserted that the form could not be used as a singular, adding that "if anything is likely to lead to another Civil War, it is the Northerner's accusation that Southerners use you all to refer to only one person" (1962, 69). In fact, only one study (Richardson 1984) provides anything like systematic evidence on the possible use of yall as a singular (she argues that the form is used only as a plural and that apparent singular occurrences usually reflect Southerners' exaggeration of their dialect for social effect); few studies provide any data at all on the social and spatial distribution of the form, either singular or plural. A century of fervent scholarship on you-all and yall, then, has produced mostly fervor.


      I know it is very hard for y'all to believe there could be a difference of opinion on this, but yet the difference of opinion exists nonetheless in academic circles. As you should be well aware.

      But more to the point, I worked for several years with an adorable Texas cheerleader from Llano and she used y'all in the singular. I know. Hard to believe. And yet the truth.

      I do my best to get my facts right. I'm not so arrogant as to think I never make mistakes. Or that my opinions are the only ones that matter.

      Delete
    2. Of course if y'all weren't talking about y'all then I am sorry to rant at you. The y'all thing has become a pet peeve for me. :-D

      Delete
  25. When I initially commented I clicked the
    "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time
    a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete